Do i need to light LR in sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a section in my sump which is filled with medium LR and rubble, currently I am keeping it lit, is this a good idea or bad?

Thanks,

Tom

I believe is a Good idea, since it creates algae which reduces nitrates and such. Just make sure you get a good flow and healthy algae.

If you're not running a fuge in your sump, it's not necessary. The bacteria that grow on the LR do not require any lighting supplement. If you're growing macro algaes, such as you would in a fuge, then the light is necessary.

neilanh said:
If you're not running a fuge in your sump, it's not necessary. The bacteria that grow on the LR do not require any lighting supplement. If you're growing macro algaes, such as you would in a fuge, then the light is necessary.

I have a fuge in a separate section both are individually lit, so should I just take the light out of the LR section?

Appreciate all of the help!

If I understand the properties right you can kill the light over the LR but keep it over the fuge. There isn't anything in the live rock that will need light to keep going (even pods if you are trying to keep them don't need the light).

Smitty said:
If I understand the properties right you can kill the light over the LR but keep it over the fuge. There isn't anything in the live rock that will need light to keep going (even pods if you are trying to keep them don't need the light).

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom