Do I need to QT Anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ever since my bad experience with ich I am now so paranoid with new introduction. Do I need to QT anemone? Is it safe to put it into the main tank directly?

When placing a new anemone into the tank, where should I place it, on a piece of LR?

You don't need to QT inverts. They cannot get ich, etc. I am sure a nice drip acclimation would be required though.

Not sure on placement since my tank is not ready for any type of anemone.

ellisz said:
You don't need to QT inverts. They cannot get ich, etc. I am sure a nice drip acclimation would be required though.

Not sure on placement since my tank is not ready for any type of anemone.

But one problem with Anemone and corals.. They do fill up with SW. So if the tank or water they were shipped or stored in was infected in therory it would carry the parasite with it. I QT everything I add to my display tank..

Just my .2

While may not always be possible, the safest route is to QT all animals that go into the main tank. As stated inverts cannot catch fish parasites but they can carry them if there is a hard surface to attach to. There is also the possiblility of free theronts in the water.

Best solution I have found that has not yet failed is only purchase inverts from LFS tanks that are free of fish. No fish, no parasites. Better LFS with larger set ups will actually keep their systems for fish and inverts seperate so they can treat the FO tanks with copper or other parasite controls. I will generally inspect all inverts for hitchikers and possible visible parasites but I do not QT them.

In the case of the anemone though, I would not suggest a QT period. I doubt it would survive unless you have a well cycled tank with the appropriate lighting. The theronts cannot attach to it and I highly doubt any water injested would be a concern. The problem to avoid is tanks with clown fish in them. Most wild caught clowns are increadibley cesceptible to carrying Brooklynella hostilis.

If you go the route of buying from fishless sytems, you should have no issues.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
While may not always be possible, the safest route is to QT all animals that go into the main tank. As stated inverts cannot catch fish parasites but they can carry them if there is a hard surface to attach to. There is also the possiblility of free theronts in the water.

Best solution I have found that has not yet failed is only purchase inverts from LFS tanks that are free of fish. No fish, no parasites. Better LFS with larger set ups will actually keep their systems for fish and inverts seperate so they can treat the FO tanks with copper or other parasite controls. I will generally inspect all inverts for hitchikers and possible visible parasites but I do not QT them.

In the case of the anemone though, I would not suggest a QT period. I doubt it would survive unless you have a well cycled tank with the appropriate lighting. The theronts cannot attach to it and I highly doubt any water injested would be a concern. The problem to avoid is tanks with clown fish in them. Most wild caught clowns are increadibley cesceptible to carrying Brooklynella hostilis.

If you go the route of buying from fishless sytems, you should have no issues.

Cheers
Steve

Very good points Steve! I just take no chances with my setup and would be the extream QT advocate when asked :)

Thank you for all your replies! I was more concerned with the possiblility of free theronts in the water and whether the parasite at its free swimming stage will stick to the coral when brought home with possibly infested SW. Although my LFS have two separate systems for fish and coral, their coral tanks do have a few fish in them, which makes me nervous.

Would it make sense after acclimation to rinse the anemone with water from the main tank before placing it in? Just to make sure no free swimming theronts have cling on to the anemone.

And where should I place the anemone in the tank?

kwan said:
Would it make sense after acclimation to rinse the anemone with water from the main tank before placing it in? Just to make sure no free swimming theronts have cling on to the anemone.
I do not believe that will make any difference and the stress of the procedure could possible kill the anemone. Personally, I think you are just going to have to chance it.

And where should I place the anemone in the tank?
Need more info about the tank set up, age, lighting, other inhabitants, water specs and if possible a full tank pic. What species of anemone as well? I would highly recommend a clone BTA if they are available. Most wild caught as I'm sure you have researched are not long lived in home systems and rarely survive more than 6-12 months.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom