Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do i need to QT Snails

I ran my DT through 8 weeks of Hyposalinity and plan on QT all new fish with Hyposalinity before adding them. Do I need to QT my invertebrates?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally dont but I do give then a good once over before I put them in. I'm sure qt is a good idea there is a chance you could introduce ich with the addition of a snail. Be careful for other things like pyramid snails.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #3

Well that sucks since you can't do Hyposalinity on them. What do you mean by a once over?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I make sure there's no pyramids on them.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is a great question and opens a can of worms that makes it difficult to give a reasonable answer. Ideally, you would want to QT EVERYTHING for 4-6 weeks before placing it into the DT. And in this case, that would require an established QT with algae and food stuffs (aged live rock) that would sustain the snails for the time in QT.

But typically, many look at inverts as being incapable of bringing in disease/parasites so they acclimate and put them directly into the display. It's a risk, but so is everything in life.

I can assure you that snails ARE in fact capabale of transmitting disease from dealer tank to yours if not QT'ed. And as an interesting side, did you know that "ich" can feed off the feet of an urchin, treating it as a surrogate host and replicating through its life cycle on this host alone? Scary thought and just goes to show you that there are many mysterious factors that defy convential wisdom of how a parasite like ich can sustain itself without fish.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I brush mine with a toothbrush and throw them in.yours will be fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

What do you brush them in?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Toothbrush then rinse them off.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saltwater I try not to be consumed with the what ifs takes the fun out of the hobby.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im gonna 99% of they time, probably higher that inverts are not going to transfer anything to a tank.

Secondly if quarantining an invert there is no way to tell really what or if it is carrying anything and thirdly you have no way to treat even if you did, so then what?

Ive never had a problem with inverts carrying anything. Inverts i buy get a good looking over at the store and they acclimated to the tank when i get home. Obviously if i see something 'off' at the store then i wont buy it. Really your not going to be able to tell any different in a QT tank.

If you see something attached to a snail shell then it should be pretty easy to spot and not buy it. Ive seen aiptasia on snail shells and all kinds of things. Pretty much the initial inspection is the best prevention you can do in my opinion.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com