Do I Want Waves or Ripples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got my new Jebao RW-4 and I've been playing about with it.

I was wondering what flow patterns are more beneficial to keeping a successful reef.

Pattern 1: Highly agitated surface, minimal wave action.

Pattern 2: Very calm surface, constant wave action.

Which is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah... I'm a tad paranoid of the waves overflowing..

go with ripple, the light shimmers beautifully and has more agitation so there would be less of a protein build up on the surface (if there was to be one)

Depends on where your corals came from. Some corals evolved in surge zones where the wave action is like a washing machine. Others like a very subtle current. They all like a more random flow pattern. Breaking up the surface is a very good recommendation.

Depends on where your corals came from. Some corals evolved in surge zones where the wave action is like a washing machine. Others like a very subtle current. They all like a more random flow pattern. Breaking up the surface is a very good recommendation.

I can make pretty good ripples which crash against the opposite side and make waves coming back...

I can't believe I've never had a controllable Powerhead before..

I use an mp10 and go from really high turbulent flow to more of a moderate wave like flow and my corals seem to enjoy that. Acropora especially appreciate the strong random surges.

Back
Top Bottom