Do Lighting Changes Induce Coral Expellation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I changed my LED's very recently and they're now drastically less intense than my previous fixture.

My Torch has just began to expel some Zooxanthella, from what I've read this can be due to the change in lighting.

It's shrivelled up pretty tight right now so should I do anything to help it out?

Thanks.

Pic if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How powerful are they?

My last fixture was a 160w Chinese thing, much too powerful for my 10G.

I'm now using an LT SL A001.

54w, I just switched 2 days ago so I'm assuming the Torch is getting rid of excess Zooxanthella from the powerful lighting.

If it wasn't expelling zoo from the 160 watt taotronics, it won't be doing it from 54 watt. The only change would be the intensity that the lighting is set at, and if not slowly acclimated to a new higher intensity this could result in bleaching and other such behavior out of coral.

If it wasn't expelling zoo from the 160 watt taotronics, it won't be doing it from 54 watt. The only change would be the intensity that the lighting is set at, and if not slowly acclimated to a new higher intensity this could result in bleaching and other such behavior out of coral.

I've actually done the opposite.

Massively lowered the intensity.

It's actually already back up and fully extended already...

I'm a tad confused.

That's what I mean. You obviously had the other unit set at a much lower intensity than the current was. This can be effected by the quality of LEDs and other such things. That is why turning them down has positively effected them.

That's what I mean. You obviously had the other unit set at a much lower intensity than the current was. This can be effected by the quality of LEDs and other such things. That is why turning them down has positively effected them.

I'm still not fully understanding..

I mean, in person the old fixture was WAY brighter than this but the current one does use Cree LED's if that makes much difference.

It's absolutely not bleaching, it's acting like nothing happened.

Is my theory completely worthless?

That it's ridding itself of excess Zooxanthella?

Cree LEDs are much better quality. It does make a difference. I'm saying that the better quality LEDs just needed to be turned down to match the intensity the zoas were used to from the other unit.

Cree LEDs are much better quality. It does make a difference. I'm saying that the better quality LEDs just needed to be turned down to match the intensity the zoas were used to from the other unit.

Hmm... Starting to make sense.

I'll knock down the intensities some and see what's what.

Is it normal for a coral to recover this quickly though?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom