Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do old T5s cause diatoms?

Hey guys, this is my first saltwater aquarium and im not too sure why some things happen. My tank has been running from one month and 3 weeks from the day I added water till now, it's a 60gl tank and I started it with 90lbs of live sand, 50lbs of live rock and 20lb of dry base rock. I figured since it would cycle anyone I should just add the base rock all at once. Well the system was cycled and safe after about three weeks but now I'm getting these diatom blooms everyday and like I said I've never had a saltwater tank but this doesn't seem normal cause I clean the glass in the morning and by the time I get home from work there's already I large amount on the glass again and the sand is covered again (in the morning there's barely any) I have an 8 bulb t5 fixture and I run 4 t5s from 9am-7pm and the other 4 from 11am-4pm. I bought it used but the guy said the bulbs were pretty new but if there weren't, could this be the reason for the diatoms? The live rock doesn't seem to have any coralline growing on it and the dry rock just looks gross and some are kinda fuzzy. I dose it everyday with calcium and alkalinity buffer and at night with purple tech. Parameters are in check and ill post them on the bottom. Any thoughts will be great. I don't know if maybe my lights are on too long or I fu#ked up adding the dry rock or maybe I just need new bulbs.

Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrite 0 (close to zero at least)
Phosphate 0
Calcium 420
Kh 196.9

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Forgot to add...

Ph 8.2-8.4
Temp 79-81

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You running your lights way to long. Corals only require a min. of 6 hours. I would cut your main lighting (whites) to 6 hours with blues coming on 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after.

My lights don't even come on until 2 pm and are off by 8 pm.

Remember, you can adjust your lighting to when your home home.

I hope this helps out.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its sounds like you're in the midst of cycling. Un cured dry rock and lr week leach things algae loves to eat. 8 bulb t5 (high output I assume?) is going to be A LOT of light, what brand fixture do you have? If you tell me ati or tek then I'll tell you to wear sunscreen
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also you should not be dosing your tank with anything, you haven't tested for. If your dosing your tank without testing it your just creating an unstable environment. If the base rock is Fuzzy and happens to be green, you've also got hair algae.

I would suggest a 20 percent water change and a weekly 10 percent water change every week.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, I guess I should mention that you can't dose your corals bigger. Same goes for coraline (a calcifing algae). If you're testing your levels and they are decreasing everyday by an amount you have to correct immediately, then you probably have a huge problem, or you did the test wrong. It's a waiting game, with stable amounts of calcium, magnesium, and alk.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will... You are typing too fast
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh... View Post
Will... You are typing too fast
I know, my wife just asked me if I was writing a book. I said no, reading to fast
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you, I'm gonna set the lights to run alot less then and see how that goes. I thought they needed alot more light lol

Why would I wanna do a water change if all the parameters are on point?

Yea it is a tek light, is that good?

I started dosing because my ph was way too low. I have an apex with the ph probe and I can see how low it would get at night and it's gotten alot higher and became stable now
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post
Thank you, I'm gonna set the lights to run alot less then and see how that goes. I thought they needed alot more light lol

Why would I wanna do a water change if all the parameters are on point?

Yea it is a tek light, is that good?

I started dosing because my ph was way too low. I have an apex with the ph probe and I can see how low it would get at night and it's gotten alot higher and became stable now
Because if the fuzzy stuff on your rock is green it's more than likely hair algae and as said in an earlier post these things are eating up stuff like phosphates, etc. in your water and can give inaccurate readings.

Have you been doing regular weekly water changes since you set up your tank?

Tags
diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com