Do plate corals split?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have had this guy for 10 months and is healthy. Just noticed this yesterday. Do they split? It is a green short tentacle plate.

image-1513615225.jpg

I am researching on the internet and have read that they drop babies like leathers do. But have also read that they split and create new plates. I don't know what to believe. Anyone have first hand experience?

my short tenticle one opens like that and creates a few new rows of shell then they turn purple and match the rest. i think its how they grow, they break open and add to their size by creating a few new rows or ridges or however you want to describe it. Mine seems to make them inside and pushes out some new shell. i hope this made sense...lol

There are plate corals that will "frag" themselves. Look up Diaseris Plate Corals and see if this may be what you possibly have. I've found the best way to differentiate between Diaseris and a standard Fungia is by flipping it over and looking at the underside. The standard Fungia will be flat, while the Diaseris will have a segmented look.

Back
Top Bottom