Do Pods eat Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright my Over flow at one point was covered in Algae now I have some sort of Pod in my Sump and Over flow that ate away on all the Algae that was in there I was looking at it today an I was like WTH? It's not Amiphpods or Copepods???? What other pods are there eat a massive amount of Algae?

Thanks

How old is your tank? As your tank matures, it goes through many chemical changes. and as it goes through these changes you will see things that come and go. The algae may be gone because your tank used up all its silica and Nitrates or PO3. AS these things happen different animals and plants take hold in our tanks. I look with wonder at my tank and say WOW what next.

Almost a Year old but All I know is there are a tons of these little crittiers in my Over flow and all the Algae is gone... They almost look like Isopods which is Bad but I don't think they are.... But I could be wrong.

Agree with what thincat is saying - our tanks go through "phases" and I don't think it ever ends. But I suppose it could be isopods. Not all isopods are bad, and I believe many of them are herbivores. (And even isopods are a phase - been there, done that.)

Will the be eaten up consumed by my Livestock? I take it I've had them in my tank for awhile and I just removed my Fish out of my DT and moved them to QT cause I am treating for Ick. You think there will a huge population of these pods to go around to feed...

I dont think the pods had too much to do with it. I do think that if you took all your fish out of the tank that the excessive nutrients that the fish provide through fish waste have been depeted thus weakening the algea causing it to release and go down into the sump. The good news is that with no fish in the tank you`ll start to see less algea in the tank. The bad news is that your nitrifying bacteria needs a source of ammonia to stay alive and you`ll need to put something in the tank to keep it alive. Maybe a few flakes every week or so. But IMO that`s what happening to the algea.

hhhmmm... good point... But it's just odd that there are a ton of them in my Overflow and all the algae is gone I even notice some this morning looking a little green so I take they did eat the algae.

.....I even notice some this morning looking a little green so I take they did eat the algae.

How fast are these bugs moving? I have a ton of pods of different kinds, none of them green. I have however seen flatworms in my tank that are green.

:rolleyes:

Ok fair enough. I guess it was a bad question. Do they seem to crawl around? Can you see legs? Or do then seem to scoot or slide along the glass slowly?

Back
Top Bottom