Do Powerhead scare fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently just purchases a Korlia 550 for my tank and my flame angel as been hiding all day since i installed it. i just fed them and normally he is ravenous with the food but only ate 2 brine shrimp :ermm: what you guys thing. the tank is 25 gallons:

Try pointing it a different way maybe? So the fish don't have to swim through the current to get their food. If not I'm sure they will get used to it.

Hm is it making noise or something? A little current shouldn't scare them too much but if they are still not eating after like two or three days you should definitely take it out.

My clowns actually surf the current from my powerheads and return jet. LOL They will go back and forth in it all day long. :)

I agree, if theres something about the jets bothering the fish maybe try re adjusting them and if worse comes to worse take them out and see if that improves things. Then maybe add one in at a time and try to wean them on the current. I've never seen fish afraid of the PH's, some of mine actually perch on them too. lol

My clowns do the same thing! :) they really like to swim towards it maybe for some exercise and then they will also let it push them and they dart across the tank.

Well my flame angel did not make it for what ever reason i am really at a loss. the parameters were perfect but the addition of the powerhead stressed him out avlot even after i removed it turned off the lights he died last night :(

i dont think it was a coincidence because he was literally 100% normal until i installed the p/h . Of course i thought nothing of it originally because something new was being introduced to the tank. i figured it was just a process he would go through and would eventually get over it. After a few hours of cowering between the rocks i turned the p/h off. Around 7pm est i noticed him laying in the sand breathing very fast. I immediately removed the powerhead and turned the lights off( hoping to calm the lil guy down). i watched him the remaining two hours until he died. I just do not know what went wrong truthfully.

Did you rinse the PH before you put it in? Is there a chance there were any left over nasties from manufacture?

yeah i rinsed it off prior just as a precaution. I guess fish are animals in an artificial setting and sometimes things happen that are unforeseeable

I had the exact same thing happen to my Coral Beauty after I added a PH. He was fine before and within 30 min of adding the PH, he was dead buy all other fish fine. He was eating well, had gorgeous color, very active then also acted afraid of the PH then started swimming erratically than laid on bottom of tank for a few min before he died. I was so upset because I had gotten the PH to make them happy and healthy and it killed him instead. :(

Back
Top Bottom