Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2003, 01:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Do some starfish eat corals?

I have this starfish and I know they are not considered "reef safe" so I"m assuming that means that he will eat corals. I"m read and been told that they will pretty much eat whatever they can get ahold of. The starfish I'm talking about is in this thread I posted earlier.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...294&highlight=

Old 11-29-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
steve-s

I am fairly sure the one it that pic is akin to a chocolate chip star. They are not above coral munching but as long as there are other foods for it to scavange easily enough that can be okay. If you have not seen it on/near your corals as yet, then most likley it may never be a problem.

I would leave it be for now unless given a reason otherwise...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you recommend I feed him? I gave him a quarte sized chunk of my blender mush, it's stays pretty solid when thawed unless you break it up. Anyway, I know they don't eat everday, should I try a coupel times a week or weekly or what?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
steve-s

Weekly should be fine but I would be careful using the blender mush as it will be too small for it to effectively get all the food and never feed animals food that is still frozen or even partially frozen. It can cause intestinal problems.

I would instead suggest sinking pellets or simpley some krill, silversides or raw peeled shrimp. One small piece weekly should suffice...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 PM   #5
cj10488

I would suggest a piece of Thawed Krill about once a week.. Keep an Eye on it.. And make sure it doesn't happen to move on top of any of your inverts.. I know CC starfish will eat anything it can catch..

HTH,
James
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, it already sucked a snail from it's shell. I made sure the blender mush was thawed but for whatever reason when I made it, it stays together almost has a gel quality to it. I have some krill that I fed my puffer, think I'll try feeding him that.

Thanks again guys!!

Tags
coral, corals, eat, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com