Do Test Kits go bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I have a test kit that is over 5 years old. The drops are all in sealed bottles for various tests... ph, alkaline, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.. it is a Marine Lab 5-in-1 kit.

The PH test seems to be right on, but I'm worried about the other tests. The ammonia test has shown a murkie green color (equates to 0.5ppm on the test chart) every single time I tested. The Nitrite test always comes up a pale yellowish color, which isn't even on the chart (aqua color = 0, and purple color = 1 & above ppm).

My tank has been going for a couple months now, with Live Rock, cleaning crew, and a couple damsels. I have had nothing die, fish look healthy, and the cleaning crew is always on the move.

Is it time to buy a new test kit?

Test kits can go bad, although I've had some last a long time. The more expensive test kits will have expiration dates on them.

You could try checking the test against known items, like vinigar should have a pH around 3, a clear ammonia window cleaner should be off the scale on ammonia, fertilizer should be off the scale on nitrate. Distilled water should be 0 for all nitrogen compounds, alk, hardness. pH may not be 7 in distilled water, as the CO2 in the air can turn it acidic.

My new Salifert test kits have 2007 expiration dates. That would equate to maybe 2 years of shelf life. 5 years is probably too long and would time for new test reagents.

You might want to a take a sample to the lfs and ask them to test it too and bring your kit along to check for any differences.

Thank you two much for the response! I scoured my test kit and finally found the expiration date in small small print.... August 2001!! 8O

That is good advice about the LFS, I'll bring a sample into them next week. I'll also do some of those neat comparison tests with household products... great idea!

It comes down to my kit expired over 4 years ago! LOL. :)

Back
Top Bottom