Do these jump??? Do I really need to cover the top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be having these fish in my tank:

- Chromis
-Anthias
- Blue tang
-Yellow tang
-O. Clown

I would like to know if I really need a cover to prevent them from jumping out?

I think egg crate do stop some of the light getting to the bottom of the tank because of its thickness. Say you have a metal halide in the middle, the light won't be able to shoot down the right and left side due to the angle and thinkness of the mesh. The light will only reach the bottom no problem in the middle section which is directly under the light but both side. Can someone point out if I am right? If that is the case there is no point for me to get the cover then.

believe it or not, the eggcrate does not block much light. The entire tank will be well lit. The first time you are peeling a hundred dollar fish off the floor, you will rethink the decision to not use eggcrate. Or even a less expensive fish...not wanting to imply it is ok to let cheaper fish jump out of a tank ;)

I have most of those fish and they have not jumped yet. I say yet because nothing is for sure in this hobby. But I definitely agree with Lisa on the eggcrate.

I believe I saw some one that used the egg crate, but didn't use it to cover the tank. He/she made it angle from the tank to the lights. I thought it was actually you mel, but I guess not.

Bought the egg crate and cut it and fit to the top today. Nice idea and it does block out a little bit of light but not really that much. Now I can rest in peace...

Just a thought, can you post pic of before eggcrate and after in your gallery? I am really curious.

What do you mean you are "curious" roka? Anyway I have posted the pics but damn... pending for approval... any idea what is the pending for???

weekf said:
What do you mean you are "curious" roka? Anyway I have posted the pics but damn... pending for approval... any idea what is the pending for???
I bought eggcrate, but it is still sitting in my garage. I just wanted to see how much of a difference it makes in lighting. The pics need approval, so no inapropriate pics slip through.

argh roka. I took the picture without switching on the light. I thought you only want to see how it fit on top of the tank. Will take another pic tomorrow with the light on yeah...

That's why I asked you what do you mean u are curious lol.

FWIW, I recently lost my first fish to jumping (long nose hawk). I only had a 2" gap at the bacl of the tank where the light did not cover. Not a fun experience.

Sad to hear that afilter. I have had my tank fully cover up no chance for them to jump at all... thanks for sharing all your valuable experience but really some experience need to learn the hard way...

Back
Top Bottom