Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do they look healthy???

I got MY first corals last Friday and I was wondering if you guys think they look healthy. I've seen today some polyps not opening up all day. Is that normal? When I got them they were closed during the transfer but then they opened up. Now after 2 days some are starting to close all day. Here are some pic and you can see some are closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3803211164.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	140691   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2137552147.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	140692  

Name:	image-1684229110.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	140693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1584722721.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	140694  

Name:	image-3125017190.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	140695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3591134555.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	140696  

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They all look great its normal for some not to open

Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to seperate them. Corals can "fight" if they are in top of each other. You bought some beautiful ones though!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
You might want to seperate them. Corals can "fight" if they are in top of each other. You bought some beautiful ones though!
I agree, they need to be spread out a little. Remember some may be semi-aggressive, plus they will need room to grow. Very nice pics
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoas do not fight with eachother guys.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Zoas do not fight with eachother guys.
overview The Zoanthus Colony Polyp Corals are also referred to as Sea Mats, or Button Polyps. Their most common color is green, but are also found in other bright colors, such as orange. They are colonial animals with multiple individual polyps attached to a piece of live rock. Pictured above are the two common forms of the super colored colony polyps and the coloration that you will receive will depend on availability.

These polyps have the ability to sting other polyps or corals. While the sting is not strong, they are semi-aggressive and need to have space between their colony and any neighbors since they tend to crowd them out. They are easy to maintain, making them a good choice for beginner reef aquarists. They require a high light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

They will reproduce easily in the reef aquarium by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), which will increase the size of their colony.

-live aquaria

Just airing on the side of caution. Looks like more than zoas there.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not agree with that. I have about 15 different types of zoas and they do no sting eachother to the point that there is damage. I have 1 frag that has 3 different types of zoas on it alone an it is not a problem at all, they are thriving and growing. All i see there are palys, zoas, an mushrooms. I have all 3 of these species and they are all touching eachother, no problems at all. This is my experience.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
I do not agree with that. I have about 15 different types of zoas and they do no sting eachother to the point that there is damage. I have 1 frag that has 3 different types of zoas on it alone an it is not a problem at all, they are thriving and growing. All i see there are palys, zoas, an mushrooms. I have all 3 of these species and they are all touching eachother, no problems at all. This is my experience.
+1 shouldn't you be on a plane right now :P ... Zoas can live next to lots of corals. They are pretty low on the aggression rating imo. Mainly you'll want to be concerned with lps pieces that have sweeper tentacles as these can cause major damage to other corals with just a couple touches. To give you an idea too my LPS (especially my brains and Galaxea) have reached over 6" to come in contact with its neighbor and "do battle" haha
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was referring to the other corals. Looks like they are all in a clump and there's a bunch of different kinds.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks everyone!! The reason why I don't separate them is because they are all on the same rock. That's how I bought them. I taught it was a good deal. They sold me the whole rock for 60. It was either only a piece of one type for about 30 or the whole rock with different ones for 60

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com