Do they look healthy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azul17

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got MY first corals last Friday and I was wondering if you guys think they look healthy. I've seen today some polyps not opening up all day. Is that normal? When I got them they were closed during the transfer but then they opened up. Now after 2 days some are starting to close all day. Here are some pic and you can see some are closed.

Attachments

• image-3803211164.jpg
    image-3803211164.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2137552147.jpg
    image-2137552147.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1684229110.jpg
    image-1684229110.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1584722721.jpg
    image-1584722721.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3125017190.jpg
    image-3125017190.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3591134555.jpg
    image-3591134555.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 127
You might want to seperate them. Corals can "fight" if they are in top of each other. You bought some beautiful ones though!

You might want to seperate them. Corals can "fight" if they are in top of each other. You bought some beautiful ones though!

I agree, they need to be spread out a little. Remember some may be semi-aggressive, plus they will need room to grow. Very nice pics

Zoas do not fight with eachother guys.

overview The Zoanthus Colony Polyp Corals are also referred to as Sea Mats, or Button Polyps. Their most common color is green, but are also found in other bright colors, such as orange. They are colonial animals with multiple individual polyps attached to a piece of live rock. Pictured above are the two common forms of the super colored colony polyps and the coloration that you will receive will depend on availability.

These polyps have the ability to sting other polyps or corals. While the sting is not strong, they are semi-aggressive and need to have space between their colony and any neighbors since they tend to crowd them out. They are easy to maintain, making them a good choice for beginner reef aquarists. They require a high light level combined with a medium water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.

They will reproduce easily in the reef aquarium by budding (splitting off a portion of their base or mouth), which will increase the size of their colony.

-live aquaria

Just airing on the side of caution. Looks like more than zoas there.

I do not agree with that. I have about 15 different types of zoas and they do no sting eachother to the point that there is damage. I have 1 frag that has 3 different types of zoas on it alone an it is not a problem at all, they are thriving and growing. All i see there are palys, zoas, an mushrooms. I have all 3 of these species and they are all touching eachother, no problems at all. This is my experience.

I do not agree with that. I have about 15 different types of zoas and they do no sting eachother to the point that there is damage. I have 1 frag that has 3 different types of zoas on it alone an it is not a problem at all, they are thriving and growing. All i see there are palys, zoas, an mushrooms. I have all 3 of these species and they are all touching eachother, no problems at all. This is my experience.

+1 shouldn't you be on a plane right now :p ... Zoas can live next to lots of corals. They are pretty low on the aggression rating imo. Mainly you'll want to be concerned with lps pieces that have sweeper tentacles as these can cause major damage to other corals with just a couple touches. To give you an idea too my LPS (especially my brains and Galaxea) have reached over 6" to come in contact with its neighbor and "do battle" haha

Thanks everyone!! The reason why I don't separate them is because they are all on the same rock. That's how I bought them. I taught it was a good deal. They sold me the whole rock for 60. It was either only a piece of one type for about 30 or the whole rock with different ones for 60

Just going off of the info I could find from a reputable source. In this hobby I've found experience counts for a lot. But without experience someone has to get their info somewhere and I rather be safe than sorry.

Looking closer its mushrooms zoas and polyps.... Fine to be that close. I thought I saw some other kind but it looks like a hairy mushroom. Good luck! Beautiful corals!

+1 zoas and mushrooms have no aggression altho i think the yellw polyps do have slight aggression since you bought the rock like that shows they can live together imo whats going on may be natural acclimation the zoas are adjusting to your water they may open for a day or two then close a lil during this process totally normal also hermits crawling along zoas can irritate them causing them to close if you have hermits that could also be a possibility but for 60$ i think you got a great deal and the rock looks nice

Thanks! I do have some hermits but I haven't seen them on top of the zoas. What I did see the first day I put them in my tank was a turbo snail walking on top of them but he was just passing by I don't think he was doing any demage

Back
Top Bottom