do you clean out a used tank or leave alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 75 gal tank with about 2 inched of white sand. bought the tank from a garage sale. the previous owner had just sold the LR that was in it.

well i have had the tank for about 1 week sitting in the hot garage. i already have my stand ready to go in the lving room.

but should i clean out the tank and remove the sand? is standing SW really bad for a tank? i also have the trickle filter but no pump. do i clean out and remove all the dried salt.

one more question, what type of pump will i need for a 75 gallon tank. i want one quiet.

TIA,

pelochas

OK well first off in my opinion i would clean it out (1) you dont know whats in there, might have been disease or other stuff (2) it is just safer that way (3) some things might have died will be in there so it might be bad for your tank, but personaly i would clean it just for peace of mind

cool,
how do you clean a tank with sand?

also is a pentair 3000 (780 gph) quite one pump what i should be looking for my 75 gal tank?

I'd get rid of the sand and start over again. Never know what that sand had in it. Whatever it was (micro-organisms) is now dead and most likely extremely foul.

what about for a tank that was still running, but had some cyano in it when I bought it? I have not had it down but maybe 1 to 2 hours tops at this point. I am wiping it down, but should I clean it out?

Ricky, you have a thread on this that I replied to...please don't hijack this one with a seperate problem (cyano) that does not apply to the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom