Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfisher33 View Post
well except the fact that the tank has been running for almost a year now. i'm not sure where my routine could go wrong when it comes to keeping up with my tank. my light is a quad T5HO with ~9hrs of photoperiod.
Woops, maybe there's an issue somewhere else... Do you overfeed ? Maybe the food you dose is full of PO4 ?

Do you want to try carbon dosing (vodka) for few weeks ? I only have 2 month experience in reef aquas, and a lot of researchs in mind. I tried vodka dosing for three weeks, then stopped, as my algae problems is solved and coraline start to take place... The problem with carbon dosing is that remove too much nutrients from the water colum, so it slow the coral growth...

Do you have a good NO3/PO4 test kit ? (I mean not API)
Do you have cleaning crew ?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Woops, maybe there's an issue somewhere else... Do you overfeed ? Maybe the food you dose is full of PO4 ?

Do you want to try carbon dosing (vodka) for few weeks ? I only have 2 month experience in reef aquas, and a lot of researchs in mind. I tried vodka dosing for three weeks, then stopped, as my algae problems is solved and coraline start to take place... The problem with carbon dosing is that remove too much nutrients from the water colum, so it slow the coral growth...

Do you have a good NO3/PO4 test kit ? (I mean not API)
Do you have cleaning crew ?
i believe i don't feed as most of the food is eaten within minutes. i don't dose because this should be a entry level tank where i keep the maintenance to a bare minimum. i do have a handful of clean up crews (snails and hermits), two pistol shrimps, and one cleaner shrimp (the shrimps are thieves let me tell you).

Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vodka dosing require daily dosing without forgetting it one day, it require precise mesurement of each carbon doses and a journal that should be kept updated each day.

Require a good skimmer too...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You don't need to vodka dose to stop diatoms. I get a light coating of algae on my glass every week and it has to be scrapped. IMO it's just part of the hobby
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
You don't need to vodka dose to stop diatoms. I get a light coating of algae on my glass every week and it has to be scrapped. IMO it's just part of the hobby
good to know. i just want to know that i'm not alone in this.

Tags
aquarium, brown, diatom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com