Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Awesome article here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ics/Page1.html
The difference in FW vs. SW is the salt mix will replenish the trace elements that are taken out of the water where in FW, you would have to re-add the trace elements.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The difference between RO and RO/DI is just purity.

RO gets out between 95 and 99% (roughly) of the impurities. There are still some in there after it passes through the RO membrane.

The DI stage gets out that last few percentage points and gives you as close to pure water as you can get.

There isn't a lot of cost differential between RO and RO/DI units, and the DI stage doesn't effect anything except for the extra $10-20 a year you need to spend to replace the resin.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks so much guys! The article was awesome thank you! It said in detail what Kurt summed up nicely. And my water does have 1ppm phosphate which is fine for the planted tank but not so much for SW according to everything I have been reading. So I will definitely want to remove that.

SO I will begin my exhaustive search for the best RO/DO filter that $200 can buy...lol.

Thanks again...you folks are awesome!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65 View Post
And my water does have 1ppm phosphate which is fine for the planted tank but not so much for SW according to everything I have been reading.
You got that right! Everything I've read says anything over 0.03ppm is too much for coral. But I think that might have more to do with the lowest resolution of our test kits.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
New 6st 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI+TANK Water Filters - eBay (item 110281602831 end time Aug-26-08 18:27:34 PDT)
It says you should get 99% pure water.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

FWIW, AirWaterIce recommends a 10 micron sediment filter followed by a 5 micron charcoal, followed by a 1 micron charcoal before the RO membrane. That helps the membrane last longer.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Awesome...thanks! That seems like a great price. Also we have a sediment filter that we have used in the line. I am sure we can hook that up before the water goes into the unit to filter out the big chunks.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com