Do you think I can add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That rule does not apply for saltwater tanks at all. Also as the tank size inceases u can add more like take a 55g tank a pair of clowns two reef safe wrasses and thro in a blenny or a goby and ur at ur limit. Now u have a 150 you could get away with adding more then 3 times that amt of fish mass due to a more lr volume sump size more filtration. There is no def answer to the infamous "how many fish?" As long as u add your live stock at a slow pace and your levels maintain stable and everything seems happy and stress and disease free you can prb get away with adding another fish. As long as u get fish that belong in whatever size tank u have.

Sry about the ramble you just see this question so many times. And really as a tank owner only you know if your tank can handle another fish. If u see disease bad algae growth or you have been having bad luck adding additional fish don't do it but if your tank is doing well go for.

FDshoes said:
That rule does not apply for saltwater tanks at all. Also as the tank size inceases u can add more like take a 55g tank a pair of clowns two reef safe wrasses and thro in a blenny or a goby and ur at ur limit. Now u have a 150 you could get away with adding more then 3 times that amt of fish mass due to a more lr volume sump size more filtration. There is no def answer to the infamous "how many fish?" As long as u add your live stock at a slow pace and your levels maintain stable and everything seems happy and stress and disease free you can prb get away with adding another fish. As long as u get fish that belong in whatever size tank u have.

Sry about the ramble you just see this question so many times. And really as a tank owner only you know if your tank can handle another fish. If u see disease bad algae growth or you have been having bad luck adding additional fish don't do it but if your tank is doing well go for.

Cool thx for taking the time to answer

FDshoes said:

1 per 5 may not the end all be all, but there needs to be a baseline. You saying that as long as everything "looks good", then keep on adding. I disagree.

You have to start somewhere in this hobby and when you start....you don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground. Most of us at one point or another have been anxious to add live stock and in our haste, would be easy to convince ourselves that everything looks just perfect. I can add more fish...it looks awesome!

While I agree, there's no magic formula....there needs to be some type of baseline. ....and 1" per gallon is way too much IMO.

By that theory....if you have a 75g tank w/30g sump, you should be able to add roughly about 85" of fish??!! (removing some water for displacement and operational usage for sump)

I would never recommend one inch per gallon that is absurd.

As a starter andlooking for a rule of thumb the suggestion I would give is one fish at a time unless large tank and monitor health parameters etc and go from there.

FDshoes said:
I would never recommend one inch per gallon that is absurd.

Neither would I. My initial post/comment states exactly that. We seem to be in agreement on this!

I would never add the sump to the equation, but to each their own I guess. I've had a great reef (90g) and now a 150g fowlr. Used the rule and have not had a crowded or dead fish. It took a minute to get right at the start.

The dump does count its pure biology. It doesn't count for tank size parameters for indivual fish but it absolutly counts when talking abt the tanks ability to get rid of excess nutrients.

Kio707 said:
I base mine off inches a fish will get at max size. Lion 15" in a 150 means I got 135 inches left. Bigger fish=less fish. Been working for me so far.

Kio that is insane so by that measure u could have 10 full grown lions not happening. Here's an example of what that could look like. A full grown lion naso tang blue hippo sailfin tang clown trigger harliquin tusk huma trigger maroon clown pair and u still have "plenty" of room with ur math. Not happening sry.

Well, be smart about it. I have the 150g, only have the lion, two clowns, mandarin, yellow watchman, sailfin, one spot, blue line, lunar wrasse and blue throat trigger. But by far I wouldn't say I'm over stocked. I wouldn't throw that many fish just to have a crowd. Either way, we are getting off topic.

No your fine with that. Your plans works for you currently. But saying 1”/gallon may make someone think they can have six 3” fish in a 20 and still have 2” to work with.

For me the simplest advice is 1 fish/10 gallons of course using some common sense on size of tank and fish

Back
Top Bottom