Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add th

I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?
Welcome to the salty side of the world
When cycling you don't have to run the skimmer but some people do.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks DA. I figure I grew up in Florida I'm now in Ohio I need salt in my life. Lol
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome. Where in Ohio are you?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm in wickliffe it's near Cleveland, mentor area in lake county
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

We live In erie pa. We go to the mentor mall once in a while any good LFS there?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean
I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish

I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.
Where in ohio lefty? Its 8.99 a pound here .. that's worth a short drive
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Captain Larry's is in Akron, I'm in Medina. I know, paid $11/lb for the stuff I'm cooking check them out online and on Facebook, Kriss is one of the owners, she is very nice.

Tags
cycling, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com