Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MikeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 120
Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add th

I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?
__________________

__________________
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
DA fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bronx
Posts: 263
Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?
Welcome to the salty side of the world
When cycling you don't have to run the skimmer but some people do.
__________________

__________________
Fix your fins or get your fins fix
DA fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MikeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 120
Thanks DA. I figure I grew up in Florida I'm now in Ohio I need salt in my life. Lol
__________________
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 86
Welcome. Where in Ohio are you?
__________________
One night in Bangkok and the worlds your oyster. The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free.
Firemedic1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MikeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 120
I'm in wickliffe it's near Cleveland, mentor area in lake county
__________________
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
We live In erie pa. We go to the mentor mall once in a while any good LFS there?
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
MikeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 120
The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean
__________________
MikeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
leftyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean
I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.
__________________
leftyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfish

I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.
Where in ohio lefty? Its 8.99 a pound here .. that's worth a short drive
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
leftyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 824
Captain Larry's is in Akron, I'm in Medina. I know, paid $11/lb for the stuff I'm cooking check them out online and on Facebook, Kriss is one of the owners, she is very nice.
__________________

__________________
leftyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycling, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protein skimmer and light guidance ozorowsky Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 30 07-29-2011 03:07 PM
Help with protein skimmer Gubernaculum86 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 07-11-2011 04:38 PM
Nano reef Protein skimmer help! Georgeee Nano Reefs 8 07-10-2011 11:34 AM
Skimmer while cycling? TraceyB4602 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 6 07-10-2011 12:14 AM
Rio Nano HOB Protein Skimmer? torontofc General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 07-02-2011 03:50 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.