Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?

MikeyD said:
I'm so excited this is my first marine tank. I have a 40 gallon tank, live sand, live rock, and a fluval 305 canister filter. Do you think I'll need a protein skimmer as I'm cycling or can I add it when I add the fish? Looking to put a couple clowns, a fire angel, a fire hawkfish, a jawfish, and a couple shrimp and crabs. And the wife wants a starfish. Will this tank be suitable for that?

Welcome to the salty side of the world ;-)
When cycling you don't have to run the skimmer but some people do.

Thanks DA. I figure I grew up in Florida I'm now in Ohio I need salt in my life. Lol

I'm in wickliffe it's near Cleveland, mentor area in lake county

We live In erie pa. We go to the mentor mall once in a while any good LFS there?

The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean

MikeyD said:
The only place I have found is in valley city. Really good guy knows alot. Makes custom acrylic tanks. He custom breeds cichlids and can order anything you want. I will get the address and post. Oh he also has a pretty good selection of marine fish. And the tanks are exquisitely clean

I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.

leftyfish said:
I just posted to your other question about places, you are pretty far north. If you can't find live rock around $2/ lb I have a bucket of 25 lbs that has been cooking since I took it out of my cube with a powerhead to get the coralline off and clean out the inside, it makes it filter better. I'de sell it to you for $50, may have some tag alongs, but with no light and a few days of high temps, not sure if they survived. Also, Captain Larry's has LR for 2.99/lb. Again store is a little grungy, but live stock is healthy and you can't beat their prices.

Where in ohio lefty? Its 8.99 a pound here .. that's worth a short drive

Captain Larry's is in Akron, I'm in Medina. I know, paid $11/lb for the stuff I'm cooking :( check them out online and on Facebook, Kriss is one of the owners, she is very nice.

Thanks lefty I'll definitely check out this weekend about getting your live rock. Unfortunately while playing my xbox kinect last night my shoe flew into my 50" plasma and cracked the screen so had to replace that today so money is a little tight right now. I will let u know asap

MikeyD said:
Thanks lefty I'll definitely check out this weekend about getting your live rock. Unfortunately while playing my xbox kinect last night my shoe flew into my 50" plasma and cracked the screen so had to replace that today so money is a little tight right now. I will let u know asap

Really getting into it, huh! We have a Wii and I am always in pain the day after we play.

Back
Top Bottom