Do you use mechanical filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markodeniro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a mix of live rock, skimmer and fuge for my tank but I was wondering if anyone uses any other filters to maintain water quality?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The simple answer is yes, though it varies from tank to tank depending on the need. On my tank, I have of course the 1 lbs of rock and sand per gallon along with a skimmer, dual media reactor for Purigen and GFO, DIY algae turf scrubber, panty hose along with an actual filter sock and a sponge to assist with catching large pieces.

In my opinion it depends on what you keep and how/what you feed.

If you are keeping only/mostly corals, then mechanical filtration isn't really needed and could actually remove food from the system.

If you keep a mixed reef or mainly fish, then the use of mechanical filtration is highly recommended so you can remove excess food and fish waste from the water completely, assuming you clean the mechanical daily, rather than leaving it to breakdown to eventually be nitrate.

also using a quality filter sock can help with things like free floating algae or diatom blooms as it can usually filter those out to a degree.
I also use chemical filtration; Purigen and Chemi-Pure to remove colors, odors, phosphate, metals, etc., etc.

While running a system with only a skimmer, live rock and fuge can and does work, you are operating with a thin margin for error and are rather limited in how much livestock you can house.

So would it be a good idea to get a reactor with puri gen and gfo?

Ok so no need for a bag of carbon in the sump for example?

I don't use carbon either. Perhaps if something was to go wrong that created a need for carbon, I'd use it, but certainly not hanging in a bag in the sump. Carbon needs to be in a reactor to be efficient. It's not going to do a whole lot of good with no water being forced through it.

it really does come down to what you are stocking and how heavy of a bio-load you are carrying.

Carbon should only be used in a canister type filter or some means where it is stationary but water can flow through it.
Carbon should NEVER be used in a media reactor as the action of the carbon moving around will cause it to break up and bits will make their way into the display.
Micro particles of carbon are one suspected cause of HLLE.

Purigen, bio-pellets, and phosphate removers work in reactors because they do not degrade and break up.
GFO (granulated ferrous oxide) is used in reactors, but the flow is very slow so the granules do not mash around and break up.
A inexpensive canister filter pulling/returning from the sump will suffice to use any type of chemical media.

What would the "general" stocking be for an 80G? Just so I know when I'm getting to the limit to possibly consider extra filtration

Carbon should only be used in a canister type filter or some means where it is stationary but water can flow through it.
Carbon should NEVER be used in a media reactor as the action of the carbon moving around will cause it to break up and bits will make their way into the display.
Micro particles of carbon are one suspected cause of HLLE.
So, then if the flow was slow through the media reactor and the particles weren't' moving (media reactor/canister filter, potato/potato) it would work just fine for carbon.
Suspected cause of HLLE? That's no more proven than stray current or malnutrition (which of course can arrest HLLE).

I have been using filter socks but recently got rid of the socks. I have noticed a little spike in Nitrate level and have been testing with sugar dosing. This is working really well and less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, then if the flow was slow through the media reactor and the particles weren't' moving (media reactor/canister filter, potato/potato) it would work just fine for carbon.
Suspected cause of HLLE? That's no more proven than stray current or malnutrition (which of course can arrest HLLE).

but then you do not get the benefit of the media churning around, knocking off dead bacteria and exposing more media surface area, but yeah it would work similar to GFO in a reactor.

carbon dust and HLLE...
yeah, that's why I said a "suspected" cause, same as the ones you mentioned.
If it were proven I would not have used the word suspected. ;)

So what is the ideal stocking for an 80? So I know what to aim for when getting more filtration?

Hey PB Smith,

No I am not using any mechanical filtering. Have rocks and matrix as filter media.

400litre tank with skimmer capacity of 900litre.
Bio load - 1 each - yellow tang, blue tang, mimic tank, large clown. Flame Angel, rock Cod, honeycomb eel.
3 Damsels, 2 Chromis.
3 medium hammer corals, 2 medium torches, 2 medium frog spons.
Around 20 mushrooms and Duncans.

Have no issues without using mechanical filtering, 1 teaspoon sugar ever 2nd day is my trick.
Have been doing this for nearly a year now!

Back
Top Bottom