Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I’ve used various sized Mag pumps both externally and submerged for many years without noticing any drop in efficiency. My only complaint with Mags is the energy they consume.

At home on land or sea.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not saying it can't be used that way, but you proved the point made about efficiency - energy consumption. Since they aren't really built for that, they work harder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not true! They are energy burners in any application and they are built for that. That being internal or external applications.

Dick

At home on land or sea.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will definitely have to run a chiller. I will do some research anyway. Tonight I am not running the skimmer and the 2 heaters are unhooked from power outlet. Will see how it looks (temp) in the morning.
Then if there is no changes, I will stop the return pump for a few hours and keep track of temp... I really wanna know why this is happening since the tank is almost 2 years old and I never had this issue b4. Also temp is not that hogh in Seattle's fall...! Will keep you guys updated.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

after much research I settled on the Sicce Silent line of pumps.
They are specifically designed for either application and thus far I have 0 complaints or issues.

Having considered the heat issue and after struggling with high temps this summer, I decided that when I revamp/upgrade my saltwater, I'm going to configure the sump for both an external and submerged return pump. That way when the ambient temps start to climb I can use the pump externally and save a few degrees of heat.
The reverse is true for winter, and I will benefit from the heat generated by using it submerged.
all it will require is a bulkhead fitting and valve on the sump.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If there is a restriction or too much back pressure, even magnetic drive pumps will consume more power and as a result create more waste heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

IME pump will heat up more when subjected to higher than its capacity. Meaning more flow requires more power thus radiates more heat. Restricting the flow does not necessarily mean that the pump consumes more power instead it is the opposite. A larger size of pipe in its inlet/outlet and with less head height will have easy flow but you will get more heat. Try installing a gate valve and reduce flow. If it does not reduce heat then there is something wrong with your pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Does a return pump warms the water?

I don't agree. The more energy used to lift or push the water the more waste heat the pump will produce. I think if you put a amp meter on your pump and restrict the flow you'll see it using more power. Placing a load on any motor causes it to draw more current and as a side effect, create more heat. But that's just my opinion.

How does a pump exceed its designed flow rate? If anything they struggle to do as advertised, not run away RPM's. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I think if you put a amp meter on your pump and restrict the flow you'll see it using more power.

That's exactly what I am about to suggest. I am 100% sure you will get the result as I have mentioned because I have done this before. When you restrict the flow there is less water being pushed up therefore you use less power not more. Similar to electricity, high resistance less current so you consume less power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

it really depends on whether you pushing or pulling the water.
If you are pulling the water with the pump and the INTAKE is restricted, the pump will not necessarily be working harder as it can only work with the flow of water it is being delivered.
If the pump is pushing the water and the output is restricted, then it will be working harder because a greater volume of water is being presented to the pump than it can push through the restriction.
Same principle as dealing with head height.

but the above conditions would be more likely encountered in a closed-loop system and not so much a sump as you can not "force" water into the pump in a sump.

pulling water always requires less work.

Tags
ate, pump, return pump, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com