Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
does anyone dip their new rock in elevated salinity SW?

To get unwanter critters out. My rock from LR.com is comming tomorrow and I really would like to get any mantis shrimp and crabs out.
Figured I could donate them to my LFS.
Or a better way?

Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i tryed diping it but it did nothing. i have been traping for the crabs a loit. i think i did 1.030 for 1 min a rock. all i got out was a worm. not crabs or any thing.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I convinced a mantis to abandon ship by just dipping in regular tank SW.

This is a topic on which there are differing opinions... Mine is that you shouldn't dip your LR in anything odd when it arrives. It has had a hard journey and my #1 priority is to keep EVERYTHING alive. Unfortunately, that includes some things that you might regret having later.

For me, all the diverse life that comes on the LR is exactly what I paid for...and that includes mantis and crabs and other things.

If you have an existing tank full of sensitive life already, then adding the rock directly in is great for the rock...but bad for the tank. If you have a tank that is mostly barren, just waiting for LR..then get the LR straight in there fast. Remove unwanted critters later.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
After trying both, plain RO baths and hyperslainty I have come to the conclusion that dipping is just bad. Most of the critters you want are not semingly as hardy as the ones you don't. For mantis the best method I have found is to just set the rock out in air for a few minutes. Most Rock crabs and mantis come out to investigate and or look for water. Everything else stays wet and well. Just keep a keen eye open for movement.

R-
Old 07-27-2004, 02:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, I am adding to my already set up system, my fish however are in a separate system being treated for ich.
I want most of the life that comes with the rock, but I know certains things can/will hurt my current inverts.
I like sumpheads idea, I will try it.
If I get a few Mantis or crabs, anyone what them? Either that, or maybe I'll set up a separate system or give them to my LFS. I don't have the heart to flush. Have already done that with a couple of fish in the past...my fault.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

can you send them to texas??? If so I'll take em. Giong to set up a small 10 gal for some crabs and other things.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll put whatever I find in my 10 gallon. I'll let you know what I find. If you want them, I'll send them to you.

Tags
rock, salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com