does anyone dip their new rock in elevated salinity SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
To get unwanter critters out. My rock from LR.com is comming tomorrow and I really would like to get any mantis shrimp and crabs out.
Figured I could donate them to my LFS.
Or a better way?

i tryed diping it but it did nothing. i have been traping for the crabs a loit. i think i did 1.030 for 1 min a rock. all i got out was a worm. not crabs or any thing.

I convinced a mantis to abandon ship by just dipping in regular tank SW.

This is a topic on which there are differing opinions... Mine is that you shouldn't dip your LR in anything odd when it arrives. It has had a hard journey and my #1 priority is to keep EVERYTHING alive. Unfortunately, that includes some things that you might regret having later.

For me, all the diverse life that comes on the LR is exactly what I paid for...and that includes mantis and crabs and other things.

If you have an existing tank full of sensitive life already, then adding the rock directly in is great for the rock...but bad for the tank. If you have a tank that is mostly barren, just waiting for LR..then get the LR straight in there fast. Remove unwanted critters later.

After trying both, plain RO baths and hyperslainty I have come to the conclusion that dipping is just bad. Most of the critters you want are not semingly as hardy as the ones you don't. For mantis the best method I have found is to just set the rock out in air for a few minutes. Most Rock crabs and mantis come out to investigate and or look for water. Everything else stays wet and well. Just keep a keen eye open for movement.

R-

Thanks guys, I am adding to my already set up system, my fish however are in a separate system being treated for ich.
I want most of the life that comes with the rock, but I know certains things can/will hurt my current inverts.
I like sumpheads idea, I will try it.
If I get a few Mantis or crabs, anyone what them? Either that, or maybe I'll set up a separate system or give them to my LFS. I don't have the heart to flush. Have already done that with a couple of fish in the past...my fault.

can you send them to texas??? If so I'll take em. Giong to set up a small 10 gal for some crabs and other things.

I'll put whatever I find in my 10 gallon. I'll let you know what I find. If you want them, I'll send them to you.

Back
Top Bottom