Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does anyone else have a STUPID anemone?

My amenone moved again. He was stationary for like 9 months. He finally found a place he liked and stayed there for a long time. Then he moved and squeezed his little anemone butt into an opening between some rocks that was obviously too small for him. Well, he caused an avalanche! Once again, I've had to rebuild the reef. It's hard to make the rocks stable with water and fish in the tank.

Okay, so I've since figured out that it's been a year now and I had not changed my light bulbs and that's probably why he moved... but that's beside the point!

I got new light bulbs and go figure, the brain and candy cane corals are opening wider now. Lesson learnt!

Gee, am I really still a rookie? Excuse me while I go mark my calendar with a "Change light bulb!" reminder.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I hear you. Anemonies can be a pain which is why I don't have one. A friend of mine has a close to 700g tank and he bought one or it came on a rock he bought I can't remember but now he has like 8-9 of them. All on one side of the tank. They will sting SPS if the get to close. And by the wat flourencents should be changed every six months.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
My little anemone used to wedge himself in the oddest places you could imagine. Lucky no avalanches happened like in your case, but I would have to move around my LR so that I could keep an eye on him. I know he was probly happy where he was, but how can I monitor him whenever he moves behind rocks. Ah well!

As for the rookie statement. It's always the obvious things that you never seem to think of. :P
Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemones are made up of mostly water. Are you sure it was the anemone that caused the rocks to shift? I think I'd look for another cause myself. JMO
Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had 4. Now down to one. Would be zero if I could get it off the rock.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have five and one is a very large lta. And even though it plucks a mushroom polyp here and there from the sand bed and tried to eat a zoo colony, I've never had them move rock.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscrx
A friend of mine has a close to 700g tank and he bought one or it came on a rock he bought I can't remember but now he has like 8-9 of them. All on one side of the tank.
Your friend may have aiptasias, pest anemones. I don't have any of those. Mine is a long-tentacled anemone. I did have a couple pests, but I've been diligent and it paid off, Blessed Be... they were multiplying fast.

Cindy, I think it was him because the rocks were knocked over in the area where he was, but you have one of these LTAs, you may be right. I didn't find anything else I think would have caused it, but I rebuilt the reef so that it's stable. I have to say that he's too big, so maybe when he opened up after the relocation that might have done it. Anyway, I placed and ad to try to find a new home for him, someone with a bigger tank, but no response. This was one of my "I trusted the lfs guy" purchases" when I first got into inverts. They told me he would be fine in my tank, but they didn't tell me he would outgrow it! I know better now. Actually, I could use him as a convincing factor to get my husband to agree to a larger tank!

He was behind the rocks he's on now and there were more rocks and my anchor coral on top of that pile. The space to the right of where he is was open and he was in the sand spread out in that area. I suppose he could have been fighting with the anchors, but I'm not sure. They've gotten along up to now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5060037_136.jpg (67.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg p5060038_279.jpg (68.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdellin
Actually, I could use him as a convincing factor to get my husband to agree to a larger tank!
That sounds like a plan!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had an anemone for about two weeks. It was probably about as smart as yours, well maybe not. He kept moving around I guess to find a good spot. Well the only spot he found was the PH filter. He got sucked into it and well, like Fluff said, they are mostly water and it just exploded. Not cool. So I'll agree that they arent the smartest of animals!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdellin
Your friend may have aiptasias, pest anemones. I don't have any of those. Mine is a long-tentacled anemone. I did have a couple pests, but I've been diligent and it paid off, Blessed Be... they were multiplying fast.
Nope, not aiptasia Red Bubble Tip Anemones. Some the size of a dinner plate!

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com