Does anyone else keep harlequin shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

944speeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm wondering if anyone has or had a pair of harlequin shrimp. I've heard when a male is introduced it shortens their lifespan, is this true? Here's a pic of my female named Harley

Attachments

• image-2449388284.jpg
    image-2449388284.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 123
In my eyes gotta have money to have that. A starfish once a week is a bit much on my pocket book.

The lfs here feeds theirs weekly. But still once a month is too much haha. Fish food is cheaper.

Those shrimp are beautiful but I wouldn't buy an organism that feeds only one item.

I may get one temporarily to help with my asterina stars, it would be cool if my population could sustain a harlequin long term but I doubt it.

I've seen a video that said it would be incredibly difficult to create a population of sea stars that would provide enough food for a single harlequin shrimp. Imagine trying to keep a pair!

Highly unlikely being able to create a population. I read about a guy keeping a pair with a ton of chocolate chip stars that lived in his sump. He would simply cut a leg off and feed them. Stated the arms would grow back w/o problem. Just took a dozen stars.

Highly unlikely being able to create a population. I read about a guy keeping a pair with a ton of chocolate chip stars that lived in his sump. He would simply cut a leg off and feed them. Stated the arms would grow back w/o problem. Just took a dozen stars.

Sounds a bit cruel to me, I don't think I could do that, even if it was going to grow back.

Well to begin with I feed mine about 2chocolate chips a month depending on the size. But given she can eat a ton! And star fish aren't cheap, I love my specimen, nothing surprises people more then when my shrimp wrestles a starfish onto its back and then begins to eat it!

Well I may have one for a week then, they are cool but I don't think I could feed them either. My asterina stars have gone crazy though just like everyone said they would. I don't mind them but I don't want it to get too bad, and the shrimp are amazing looking.

Well I may have one for a week then, they are cool but I don't think I could feed them either. My asterina stars have gone crazy though just like everyone said they would. I don't mind them but I don't want it to get too bad, and the shrimp are amazing looking.

They'll taper off. Don't worry about it.

I have a pair of them and I only feed them when I see the two of them out searching for food usually ends up being every other week or two and I give them a medium sized cc starfish. Tried feeding them every week and they wouldn't eat. Never heard of them having a shortened life span when in a pair.

Yeah I recently got a very large cc starfish and cut off one leg at a time, makes me feel better not having to worry about them eating my corals lol and I can portion control their food haha

My harlequins never let the starfish have a chance they flip them over as soon as they hit the sand and never let go until it is dead and gone.

Back
Top Bottom