Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Does anyone have a temperate tank?

If anyone has one I have a few questions! First is about filtration, I have read a few soures saying that a sump/fuge with skimmer does not provide adequate filtration. I was wondering if that is true. If it is would a diy wet/dry filter plus skimmer be able to handle the load? That is all I can think of currently. I'm sure I will think of more.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The main filtration in a reef tank is the live rock.One and a half to two lbs. per gallon of rock with a sump with the overflow going through some filter floss and carbon media and then through a protein skimmer is all you really need.A refgugium really is personal preference.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Is this a reef tank we are talking about? I think some sort of floss or filter sock is important to catch large particulate matter, but I don't even use the carbon. Just live rock, filter sock(s), and a skimmer.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
The main filtration in a reef tank is the live rock.One and a half to two lbs. per gallon of rock with a sump with the overflow going through some filter floss and carbon media and then through a protein skimmer is all you really need.A refgugium really is personal preference.
Generally this is true but with coldwater tanks the bacteria is much slower and the rocks are a less porous, generally granite if i recall, and have a lot less surface area. i should have stated i want to make it as natural possible. i will be getting my live stock from the West Coast California to Oregon mostly. water temp between 55-65 degrees Fahrenheit. if i do a refugium i would use more porous rock.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Is this a reef tank we are talking about? I think some sort of floss or filter sock is important to catch large particulate matter, but I don't even use the carbon. Just live rock, filter sock(s), and a skimmer.
I havnt decided to do full reef or FOWLR and like i said above the rock is a lot less porous and have lower surface area.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see. Then I don't know what to tell you. I would assume the surface area is enough to sustain a decent bio load, and at 55 degrees, I would think things would just break down slower than they would in a warmer tank too. Interesting concept though, and I wonder why you would want to do such a tank. What fish would you keep?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am currently looking at keeping a Fringehead (sarcastic or onespot). I think what has attracted me to going this direction is the odd fish and there are some cool corals and anemones! It's just a different aspect to the hobby! A plus is I'm getting a free refurbished chiller! I'm excited
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. Make a build thread/diary please.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It will be over the next couple of months (moving soon) and will be broke and homeless haha but I will def keep all you guys posted

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com