Does anyone have a temperate tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcwiseone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
If anyone has one I have a few questions! First is about filtration, I have read a few soures saying that a sump/fuge with skimmer does not provide adequate filtration. I was wondering if that is true. If it is would a diy wet/dry filter plus skimmer be able to handle the load? That is all I can think of currently. I'm sure I will think of more.

The main filtration in a reef tank is the live rock.One and a half to two lbs. per gallon of rock with a sump with the overflow going through some filter floss and carbon media and then through a protein skimmer is all you really need.A refgugium really is personal preference.

Is this a reef tank we are talking about? I think some sort of floss or filter sock is important to catch large particulate matter, but I don't even use the carbon. Just live rock, filter sock(s), and a skimmer.

The main filtration in a reef tank is the live rock.One and a half to two lbs. per gallon of rock with a sump with the overflow going through some filter floss and carbon media and then through a protein skimmer is all you really need.A refgugium really is personal preference.

Generally this is true but with coldwater tanks the bacteria is much slower and the rocks are a less porous, generally granite if i recall, and have a lot less surface area. i should have stated i want to make it as natural possible. i will be getting my live stock from the West Coast California to Oregon mostly. water temp between 55-65 degrees Fahrenheit. if i do a refugium i would use more porous rock.

Is this a reef tank we are talking about? I think some sort of floss or filter sock is important to catch large particulate matter, but I don't even use the carbon. Just live rock, filter sock(s), and a skimmer.

I havnt decided to do full reef or FOWLR and like i said above the rock is a lot less porous and have lower surface area.

I see. Then I don't know what to tell you. I would assume the surface area is enough to sustain a decent bio load, and at 55 degrees, I would think things would just break down slower than they would in a warmer tank too. Interesting concept though, and I wonder why you would want to do such a tank. What fish would you keep?

I am currently looking at keeping a Fringehead (sarcastic or onespot). I think what has attracted me to going this direction is the odd fish and there are some cool corals and anemones! It's just a different aspect to the hobby! A plus is I'm getting a free refurbished chiller! I'm excited :)

It will be over the next couple of months (moving soon) and will be broke and homeless haha but I will def keep all you guys posted

Back
Top Bottom