Does anyone have experience with knobbed whelk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison G

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with knobbed whelk? Today I was in a supermarket at Chinatown in Toronto and came across some live ones. The people there didn't speak

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Whoops! Sorry I posted it by accident and wasn't finished.
As I was saying no one there spoke English so I couldn't find out the care for them.
(Doubt they would know anyway as they kept them in a basket.) Poor things.?
Anyways I'm not experienced at all with saltwater and only freshwater.
I'm not a beginner at fish keeping and have been owning tanks ever since I can remember so I'm looking at what I need for a saltwater tank, if a 55 gallon would be big enough for this large species.(One was 6 inches just the shell)
I also would like to know if they can stay together as they as I know are a predatory snail and will eat other molluscs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't see how it could make a good pet, as you'll have to feed it live clams the entire time you keep it, and it eating a clam won't be very exciting. It will probably cover it up and do it's thing. Not very exciting if you are into predators. There are many things you'll see in markets that are very sad, depending on your standpoint about living things. Pigs for example, know they are going to be slaughtered. They are mistreated their entire lives and then brutally murdered- I think I'd rather go out like the whelk. At least it got to 6" in it's own habitat.

Thanks for the reply Doug. I agree that they aren't the most fascinating thing in the world but I try and do what I can for animals in need. Ever since I was very young I have loved and cared for abused,abandoned,injured wild and domesticated animals. I feel that we should show respect to the creatures we share our planet with and do everything we can to make things right. I have delt with everything from snails with cracked shells,raising abandoned baby birds, a pelican who broke his wing (in Mexico and he almost pecked my eye out!), pets who were mistreated or inappropriately cared for(including fish), and many more. Doing pretty good considering I'm 13 years old.Turning my 55 gallon into a saltwater soon for the snails when I learn more about them.
Sincerely; Madison :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom