Does anyone keep a quarantine tank running all the time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themangia1984

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone has a qt up and running all of the time. I have read the "ounce of prevention" article but I feel just throwing a qt in our spare bedroom would be much easier. I am looking to setup a 30 gallon qt (i think this will be big enough?). Do I need to have a fish in the tank to keep the tank cycled and to establish the beneficial bacteria or can I just add some LR into the tank? I am looking to setup a 30 gallon qt (i think this will be big enough?) with a HOB filter, airstone or ph whatever is better. Any help on getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to tak the chance of adding any more fish without proper qt.

Thanks for the help as always!!!

Do I need to have a fish in the tank to keep the tank cycled and to establish the beneficial bacteria or can I just add some LR into the tank?

You really dont need either. Just every once in a while throw in a few flakes and they will decompose and feed your nitrifying bacteria.

Out of curiosity, why do you want it setup all the time? I have a small filter running in my sump. When I need the QT. I PWC water into the qt, move the filter from the sump to the qt and off I go.

Nothing wrong with keeping it up all the time I just wanted to make sure you knew that to have one you don't need to keep it up all the time.

Well to answer your question. I have a big tank and I want to add some new fish often so to pwc from my 300 gallon and then carry the buckets of pwc upstairs to the spare room (my main display is in the living room) would be a hassle. Also, if there are emergency's I'd have to go through the whole pwc again and I just feel it might more of a pain in the @$$ given my circumstance vs keeping one running all the time. Really wouldnt be much energy consumption and I would not have as much upkeep as a main display.

I agree with Captain, you can also keep a sponge/foam in a filter on your main and when you need to QT, move that over to it and you should be good to go.

When I was stocking my main tank, the QT was up and running constantly. Think I had a QT running for around a year. But once my tank was stocked, I tore it down. I've put it back up again once, but since it's only a 10g, it's really no problem. So no... I don't run it constantly.

If you plan on adding new livestock every month, then yes keep the QT running all the time. Once you have fully stocked your tank there is no need to keep it running. In fact tearing it down at that point can help prevent you from making an impulse purchase at the lfs.

I keep a filter in my sump that I can tranfer over should I decide on buing something new or need a hospital tank. I can be up and running in 24 hours or less.

It really does not matter in the end considering you should be bleaching the qt after every qt period has ended (fish removed to display). Any sponge filter or comparable filtration should be washed (soaked or gentle cycle washing machine, no detergent) and let air dry to prevent contamination. If you go the sponge filter route (hob is just motor driven, but still contains a sponge) make sure you have several sponges that can be swapped and leave completely dried before reseeding in your sump. I prefer to recycle with a chunk of live rock now because I'm not willing to take a chance reintroducing anything back into the main display: cleaning agent, medication, disease/parasite.

Back
Top Bottom