Does anyone own a spiny blue lobster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrade

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone here own one? I really think that they are cool, and it seemed pretty docile just sitting around at the pet store. Anyways any experience with them? TIA

I had a spiny blue lobster but when we lost our power last month during a bad snowstorm he was one of my tank creatures that parished. As far as keeping these guys - nothing special is required and they make good tennants overall. If you keep cleaner shrimp or any other crustacean successfully than you should do fine with these guys.

They are reported though as being coral nippers/eaters to that is something to think about. I never noticed mine doing it but I think there is a chance he took the occasional nibble.

Beautiful creatures. My LFS used to keep one in their display reef. I've always wanted one but was steared away from it by the reports from LiveAquaria. Reef safe: With Caution and the following words of wisdom: It generally will not bother other inhabitants of the aquarium, except for sessile or other bottom dwelling animals.

My Skunk cleaners are big enough thieves. Not sure I need any more fast scavengers in my tank.

Good luck with it. Be sure to report your findings if you go ahead with him.

They get 20 inches long and 25$. Right now all I have is a 29 so I think I'll wait until my 75 is up and running. Thanks for the advice! BTw, do you think a trigger would mess with it?

there is a good chance that trigger would make a meal out of your lobster

Ok this may be amongst the silliest questions asked here but if you have a freshwater lobster (well, crayfish) can that be transferred to a reef tank? I thought it there was an obvious answer but after hearing that mollies interchange between either tank that got me thinking...

The freshwater one and the saltwater one are 2 different things. The freshwater one isn't even a lobster it is a crayfish, and it doesn't get nearly as big. They are really different looking also.

Back
Top Bottom