Does beneficial bacteria die?- 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceejec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just want to know if beneficial bacteria die without ammonia for a while? Took my shrimp out when i saw the nitrite levels drop from 4 to 0 within 24 hrs (never saw any ammonia spike)... I dont have any fish right now to produce ammonia, just a small CuC

Thanks in advance :)

Yes beneficial bacteria will die with ammonia source. However, it wont die THAT quickly. Over a perios of a couple days usually. Shrimp dont create much ammo though, so it shouldnt have dropped much. To keep the cycle up, add a little pinch of food every day :)

Oh no, ive actually taken the shrimp out 1-2 weeks ago. Im waiting for my shipment from dr tims, but its taking long since im in Canada.. Will the CuC be okay in the tank if i add dr tims one and only and a few ammonia dose?

why would a bacteria that thrives from a source of ammonia die from it i don't understand this logic.

when cycling a tank you want your ammonia in the high range but you don't want it to high as it will take forever to drop. the more ammonia the more bacteria there will be that will thrive to keep the levels down. its a natural occurance, when levels get to high mother nature wants to make things safe, but if you keep adding to much it struggles to keep it low.

and yes a CUC will survive, just keep an eye on the levels and whats living in it

Thanks leo for the reply, what i meant was if i dont have any source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, how quickly would they die?

Gti_Leo said:
why would a bacteria that thrives from a source of ammonia die from it i don't understand this logic.

when cycling a tank you want your ammonia in the high range but you don't want it to high as it will take forever to drop. the more ammonia the more bacteria there will be that will thrive to keep the levels down. its a natural occurance, when levels get to high mother nature wants to make things safe, but if you keep adding to much it struggles to keep it low.

and yes a CUC will survive, just keep an eye on the levels and whats living in it

Oh sorry!! I meant that it needs an ammonia source, that was a total typo. Sorry again guys..

Back
Top Bottom