does it take long for a puffer to adapt to new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erawtik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 110gal with about 160lbs live rock, 2" live sand bed, with couple snails, 15 or so blue legged crabs, 3 clowns, 2 pep shrimps, a spotted hawkfish, and the porcupine puffer. Tanks has been running for about 6 months. Water parameters are all normal except for one cant remember what it was if it is important i can recheck and give them. But the question is 1 week ago i bout the puffer, hawk, few more crabs, the 2 shrimp and 2 of the clowns. All of them eat except the puffer i have flake's, dried blood worms, dried shrimp, frozen shrimp, and dried krill he hasnt ate anything. Does it take them a long time to adapt or something wrong? Other thing about 2 days after i got him he got sucked into the power head got him out and his 1 eye turned white and lips where red but that has gone away for the most part. Even still up to the time he got sucked in he still hadent ate a thing. And id say he is about 3" long.

Your food choices for this species are not the best. Puffers will do best with fresh frozen (never fresh) shellfish/crustaceans. I suprised it has not shown interest in the snails and hermits. Dried/freeze dried foods are pretty much the worst thing for puffers in general. It will lead to nutritional deficiencies and bowel problems/infections.

Try inshell shrimp, squid, scallops, mussles and the like. Feeding with the shell will help keep the puffers teeth in check. If not biting hard materials, the teeth will eventually grow over the mouth opening. Make sure all have been previously frozen to kill any parasites. It's quite rare anything will happen but why take the chance. You can also add some vitamin B12 to the water to help stimulate a feeding response.

I would also urge you not to add that many animals all at once. Even though it is a larger tank, you increase the potential for problems. I would also strongly suggest you QT all your animals prior to adding them to your display tank.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom