Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Does more current = better filtration?

I'm cycling my new tank with 120lbs of live rock from an established tank, now the only current I have is from my return pump - so I was thinking perhaps if I get some wave makers it could speed up the cycling process a bit? Plus I'm going to buy wavemakers down the road for corals and such.

My thinking is that by circulating the water around the live rock its like forcing more water through a filter (sort of) - does this make any sense?

ScotJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
As part of the cycle it doesn't matter, but you are on the right track when it comes to having fish and corals. There are several reasons you want good flow in your tank. A big reason is to keep DOCs in the water column long enough for them to be pulled out of your tank and into the skimmer. You also don't want dead spots in the tank where algae or cyanobacteria could grow.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As Allen said it will go along way in helping out your tank. I almost believe in a way it does help because as Allen said it keeps the water moving allowing the excessive nutrients to go through the cycle that are on the LR.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

current, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com