Does more current = better filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm cycling my new tank with 120lbs of live rock from an established tank, now the only current I have is from my return pump - so I was thinking perhaps if I get some wave makers it could speed up the cycling process a bit? Plus I'm going to buy wavemakers down the road for corals and such.

My thinking is that by circulating the water around the live rock its like forcing more water through a filter (sort of) - does this make any sense?

As part of the cycle it doesn't matter, but you are on the right track when it comes to having fish and corals. There are several reasons you want good flow in your tank. A big reason is to keep DOCs in the water column long enough for them to be pulled out of your tank and into the skimmer. You also don't want dead spots in the tank where algae or cyanobacteria could grow.

As Allen said it will go along way in helping out your tank. I almost believe in a way it does help because as Allen said it keeps the water moving allowing the excessive nutrients to go through the cycle that are on the LR.

Back
Top Bottom