does my bta look happy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sprak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first bta. Can't really tell if he's happy or meh. What you guys think?

ForumRunner_20130722_174539.jpg

he looks very very white to me...is he that white in person? What color is he supposed to be? red? green?

Green I think. Got him maybe a week ago and he had that color

It is very bleached aka not healthy:

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

Wow thanks for the insightful knowledge. I just got a little smarter :)

My first bta. Can't really tell if he's happy or meh. What you guys think?

How long have you had the nem under those lights? Those lights are good enough for anemones. You could possibly be bleaching it by setting the LEDs too high?

I've added him to my tank about a week ago and fed him twice. Seemed to eat both times. Right now he's hiding under rocks so ill guess he'll come around whenever he's ready. The lfs I went to had a few more anemones and they all were this colored.

My nem kindof looks like yours. I've had mine for acouple months now.

image-2439376909.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. Here's a quick update:

ForumRunner_20130730_110708.jpg

ForumRunner_20130730_110717.jpg

Not much change..still acclimating to the light..I think

sorry but your nem is not in a good state, you state you have dimable LEde's, but that really doesn't tell us anything. What light fixture do you have, water parameters, ect. That nem will need pristine STABLE water conditions with high end lighting, if you do not have that he will not make it, sorry

sorry but your nem is not in a good state, you state you have dimable LEde's, but that really doesn't tell us anything. What light fixture do you have, water parameters, ect. That nem will need pristine STABLE water conditions with high end lighting, if you do not have that he will not make it, sorry

I agree with Holy. My rbta split into 3 pieces, 3in 2in and a really small 0.5in. The small one lodged itself under a rock for almost 3 weeks. I didn't even know that the nem split to 3. I found him during my downgrade while moving the rocks. He was bleached as heck. I put him all the way down on the sand bed with the taotronics I have and he regained his dark red color in 3 weeks.

I don't think your problem is the light. Do you have it in good flow also if I was you I would test the tank levels also do you feed it.

Its staying in a spot with weak flow. I assumed it would move on its own. Was thinkin of movin the rock to a spot with more flow but I think its still adjusting to the light becuz it sits in the shade.
I fed it twice in almost two weeks (mysis and brine). Was thinkin of goin to the market and get some seafood to give it a big chunk of something. Recommendations?
And about water chemistry: water test kits absolutely necessary? I read some ppl just doin pwc religiously

I feed my carpet silver sides and krill I feel that I need to test cause I have a lot of sps. Most people that don't test they tank been up for years and they where testing in the start. I would give him a little more flow. And also if he's new in the tank and the clown is always bothering him he could need a little me time to find his spot.

Back
Top Bottom