Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
before you go on a cyno destruction path can we see pictures? pink dust eh? you would know if its cyno. Are you sure its not the first stages of coraline algae forming? Do you have sand or crush coral substrate? can we get a picture?

SnowZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would get a pic but my camera got destroyed. The more I think about it, I'm starting to think it is some kind of diatom. I have some purple and orange algae on my rocks that doesn't scrape off and is very hard feeling. That I hope is coraline. I'm not going to use any chems, I have too much time and now money invested to kill everything off. No one seems to have ever heard of coraline growing on sand. I've read till the cows come home on cyano and cannot find a answer on what it looks like during it's early stages. I have seen it when it is in sheet form but never what it looks like when it first appears. BTW, I have pool filter sand as substrate.

kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Cyano seems to just show up overnight in small patches. It does seem to look like a really thick diatom clump at first and then becomes obvious cyano.

I havent had it in some time. It just kinda went away once I reduced my feedings quite a bit and cut back on lighting.

If you have already done these, you might try some macro algea like Chaetomorpha to out compete the cyano.

Id also stay away from chemicals except for those that simply absorb nutrients. I have read about people really screwing things up with the magic cure products.

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, it isn't spreading really and I've done a look around the bottom rim of the tank and can see it down the face of the glass through the sandbed. I used some airline to poke around and get out what I could. Put it under the microscope I have and compared it to the diatoms and the shape is dead on the same. I have 2 huge wet/drys full of chaeto that the water is running through and they seem to be doing ok. These are not thick clumps, even my diatoms are lightly packed areas. I don't have anything as bad as what everyone says you go through. And when I blow through the tube it scatters just like dust, guess it's just another mystery of the world.

kdogg85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com