Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
The problem with your nitrates might lie within the wet/dry and canister filter. Wet/drys can be effective if used as intended, to provide a highly oxygenated environment and help break down the nitrification process. Many large systems employing heavy fish-only bioloads can rely upon these filters to avoid any toxicity poisoning, but regular maintenance must still be a priority as in any system. The problem is that nitrate needs to be exported somehow and usually through efficient protein skimming, larger water changes, regular maintenance of mechanical filtration media, etc. You can either ditch the bioball media very slowly and replace with live rock (refugium perhaps) or perform larger water changes (20% or more every couple of weeks) to keep nitrates in check and regularly maintain the filter (pads, socks, etc). This should alleviate the problem, but it didn't help that some of your fish choices are sensitive to begin with.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I maintain the Sump, and canister filters regulary. I do have a skimmer in the sump.

Arn't all the coolest fish sensative? But I seam to have problems with even more hardy fish.. The part that gets me is how they look great one day, no sign of stress or sickness, but are sick or dead the next.

This is why A professional would be a good thing for ahwile. So I can learn what I don't know, and get everything the way it should be. I'd love do have one of those beautiful reef's like some of the LFS's have.

I have more or less given up on the Copper Banded Butterfly.. I like a few other butterfly's but none seem to be reef safe.

Are Sally light foots hard to keep as well? I was shocked when my 1st sally died, but when the 2nd died, I began to wonder if they are going to be like copper banded butterflys...

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:58 AM   #13
Chad there is really a lot to learn in this hobby, a lot! But everybody started somewhere and it is just very frustrating when things do not go our way and we lose animals and money.
Just keep on reading and asking, and I promise things will get easier and more sucessful. It is a hobby that requires diligence and time but if you really have a love for it, you will suceed, it just takes time.

I just wanted to say that so you realize that everybody goes through mistakes in the begginng.

I think where things may have gone wrong is you may have gone a little quick and added species that may have been discouraged for the start.

Start fresh and ask about everything. As far as "professionals" I met a few that worked for one and I forgot more than he had in his head and I am 1,000 steps below some people I know. Doing it all yourself is half the fun in the end, trust me. Feel free to pm me with anything as well and the other mentors, mods are all great as well.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com