Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does Saltwater really destroy drywall?

I've seen suggestions to put Plexiglas on your drywall behind your SW tank.

Does anyone really do that?

I can see it being more of a problem with an open tank, but mine will have a canopy and an HOB filter so it will be away from the wall a few inches.

Aquaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Mine`s been there 12 years with no problem. That`s a new one on me.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

My tank is as close to the wall as it could be (about 3"). No problems in 6˝ years.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
I'm with the others, no problems with drywall. I am more concerned with my electrical sockets back there.
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my tank, I moved it from a place where it had been for 5 years and the Drywall was destroyed. BUT this person had overflows ALOT! So when I put it in at my house I used Plexi on the wall behind it since I had just finished redoing the entire living room. But I have noticed that I never have salt creep or water spots on the plexi so it doesnt appear to be getting wet. just my experience
redneckgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also, Make sure the room is well ventilated as you'll get mold if moisture and heat build up.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ohh thats a new one for me ... I get splashes when changing H20 and such but a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and some pine sol I have never had an issue (6 years or so now ) ... there are runs but that is it ... If I splash a big ammount and it does happen wipe dry with a towel and then with damp cloth , use fans to circulate the air and completely dry ... only takes a few minutes to do ... as stated above watch for mold and mildew as these can be very dangerous ... so quick and prompt clean ups are necessary ... I try (even in the winter ) to open all windows weekly for atleast 5 minutes a day even if there is snow and -50* out ... (this also helps with colds and flues :p ) The worst I could imagine is needing to move the tank and sand prime and paint but that is if you dont follow a few precautions ....

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com