Does Skimming Remove Calcium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaqa88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have always wanted to know if there is the possibility that the protein skimmer could be removing the calcium and other nutrient supplements from your water? I just added calcium supplement and an amino acid supplement for my corals, and I don't know if it is just my imagination but my skimmer seems to be producing more foam bubbles and more skimmate within the hour that I dosed. Could my protein skimmer be removing my corals' nutrients? Should I turn my skimmer off for a day or so after dosing?
(P.S. Don't ask what my calcium level is because I temporarily do not have the test kit for calcium. I just follow the dosage directions on the bottle.)

Don't dose without testing first. If biology serves me right, Amino acids are proteins. Thus like any protein, they can be skimmed out. After dosing an hour of no skimming should be enough.

Calcium... not really. Aminos and other "food"... yup. If you're feeding your corals, it's best to leave the skimmer off for a couple hours or you're just dumping money down the drain.

I have the skimmer on the timer with the daytime lights. then I can feed the corals after they shut off, at "night" when they normally feed. that's also when I dose calcium, so the cloudyness doesn't get noticed.

How many corals do you have that you have to dose Calcium?

Back
Top Bottom