Does this advice sound right to you guys it's about coral..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you know my bubble coral shrunk up after a water change the other night and I was a bit concerned but by night time he was all tentically and I thought all would be ok.. Well I came home yesterday expecting to see him out and about in all his glory ... well he didn't look all sickley like he did following the waterchage he had all his bubbles inflated agian.. But just not as much..I would say he's about 25% smaller than he had been for the days leading up to the now infamous change.. Well I went looking for some info on corals shrinking up.. (ohhh all water tests are ok temp and all that everything else in tank is rocking) He just seems not as excited as he was.. But I can also see that he was growing some new bubbles (when you sit and stare at your only coral for an hour a day at least you notice these things..) Also the new bubbles are more of a green tint wich with bubble corals just mean that they have been exposed to a little more light than the white ones.. Also at the store he was just under floresecents only at the very top where as I have a real good PC and they never fed him where as I give him about 1/4 inch piece of krill every 2 days or so which he eagerly chows down on that I was told to do here where as the LFS told me not to bother feeding him... Anyway I found this from a google search does this sound ok to you guys.. He has been with me now about 2 weeks now.

I also don't know why some people think some corals are starving if they temporary shrink. Sometimes the opposite is true. They shrink because they no longer need to extend to capture more light or foodstuffs as what they have currently are sufficient. Sometimes shrinking is a normal procedure, especially for leather corals that use the process to remove algae/slime that has collected on their surfaces. When the coral resumes its original shape/size, the coating of slime/algae flakes off and is washed away by wave action. I think its far too early to assume the two corals mention have a problem

So this just kinda says chill and relax does this sound ok to you guys??

have you seen the coral deficate? Thats right they do that aswell. Sometimes the shrinking is the process of removing waste thru their only opening, their mouth.

Could be it does not like the water flow as much. has the flow increased around it or decreased around it. having its tenticles out is a sign of defense but if its the only coral then I wonder what it is thinking is attacking it.

Hmmmm It is the only coral and the water flow has not changed.. hmmm Mabye it is pooping I really haden't thought about that. I also did not make myself clear it was not the sweepers that it had out. When the lights go off all of the bubbles deflate and little tenticals come out and I thought I read that it used those to catch food to suppliment its diet. Hmmmm getting rid of waste.. handen't thought about that now that it is getting fed krill where as it haden't previously it makes sense it would have waste to dispose of..I haven't seen anything come out but It may have happened while I was at work or something and it just haden't puffed back up by the time the lights went off.

Have to look into that fish thanks

Doan

Back
Top Bottom