Dog face puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid-dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a dog face puffer for my 180 gallon fowlr tank. What should i feed him to wear down his teeth?

Clams , mussels, shrimp with the shell on it, hermits ,crabs and snails . You can buy little neck clams and mussels from the supermarket for cheap.

If i fed clams on half shell, wouldnt he just eat the flesh and not bother with the shell?

Im having trouble getting this guy to eat. Its been 4 days and hes only nipped at some freeze dried krill. Ive tried mysis, which i saw him happily eat at the lfs. I tried silversides, squid, scallops , and the regular falkes i feed the other fish and hes not interested. Hopefully he is still just settleing in to my tank.

They will sometimes eat algae but they will also chew on the rocks sometimes. Puffers will take a little more time to settle in than other fish IME. I would also stay far away from feeding silverslides . They are way to fatty for a puffer.

A little update. I got him eating about 3 days ago, now he is a huge pig. He absolutely loves table shrimp with the shell on it. If it doesnt have a shell on it he wont eat it lol. Im just glad i got him eating! I love this fish!

I loved mine to he use to come up to the top of tank every time I walked over I use to rub his back and he loved it he would rock back and fourth on my finger lol. When I first got him he was in bad shape he was the first fish I cured lol. I gave him to a friend because I decided I want a reef tank

Yea, they are awesome. When i got him at the lfs he just swam right into the container they caught him with. He acted like he wanted to go home with me lol.

Back
Top Bottom