Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have one pincushion, it seems to do a good job at eating algae. It's a bulldozer though. Seems to have little care about what or who it climbs on and every little piece of rock, shell, or whatnot gets stuck to it. It's like a traveling junk pile. Oh, this one lives in a little 29g reef tank. To date it has not caused any harm to any corals that I have seen.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea the pencil is about an inch across so hes still kinda little, as far as the snail he fell off the side of the ank of landed rightnext to the pencil i figured he'd right himself and move along i looked a little later and he wasunder the pencil still facing up but thew were wedged between some rocks I still didnt think anything of it untill i saw the empty shell fall a couple days later and the pencil crawl out the hole

Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sparky, they do that for camouflage, mine carried around an old hydrometer for a day or two!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

HI,

I got two common urchins (like brown hackeesac) but they don't touch my hairy green algae (like Don King's hair) at all. Those are a pain to remove. Any suggestions? Dai
Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take your index finger and thumb, place them together while grasping a clump of algae, and pull... Repeat as needed.

I hate that stuff and manual removal is just about the only thing I have found that works.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

PROS CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLEASE!!
Im still very new at this and I dont have a lot of green hair algae, but i kind of nipped it in the bud when i started my set up, I know it thrives in low water flow and with heavy feedings (high nitrites) I have a high water flow and im not a heavey feeder of my "fish" they eat probably every 3 days but my emerald crab seems to like it along with my turbo snail and ive heard alot about sea hares really being the only thing that specifically will eat it and pretty much all other algae but when the algae's gone the sea hare will starve to death, foxfaces and tangs are good to but every tank is different so what works in mine might not work in yours i dont have a lot of algae period except coraline so thats probably why my turbo snail and emerald crab do the job, the best thing i can tell you is if its bad scrub it off with a toothbrush to get the majority off and then maybe your "cleaners" will control it if you dont have a turbo snail id say snag one or two and a couple emerald crabs to start with depending on your set up if its reef your carbs should be fine but if your FO or FWLR they might become a meal
Old 03-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

do
Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo

eat algae as the pencils do??

I perfer the look.

Really like the Longspine Urchin, Black
Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Juice, the hair algae thrives off of nitrAtes and phosphates. My pencil doesn't seem to eat hair algae as much as my pincushion. I honestly beleive the pincushion is really eating the coraline and anything that is on top of it, so I don't think their diet is really hair algae....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks for the correction roka64, DREWBIE, my PENCIL REALLY DOESNT TOUCH IT like roka64 said mainly coraline, actually ever since my pencil ate one of my snails he has ben wedged in the same place for about a week now.. must still be full i attached the best pic i could get of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pencil urchin...he's eatin one of my snails..poor snail didnt have a chance...jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	18164  

Tags
chi, urchin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com