Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Doggonit! Fish in fuge.

One of may favorite little fish is in the fuge. My forktail, fang blenny is down there. Netting him is out of the question with all the rock and macroalgae and sand and miracle mud.

Tempted to leave him down there and just get another forktail for the main. After all, my yellow neon goby is down there also to keep him company. Been there for months. The blenny just went down there yeterday. Got a few teeny hermits and an urchin down there too. Lights on 24/7.

Not sure I want to remove all the rock from the sump. The other side of me says do it and reclaim my goby and blenny. That yellow neon would always clean my hands when they go into the tank. The neon blue, still in the main isn't much fun that way.

The other thing about my fuge/sump is that I'm a little bit concerned about disturbing the purple bubble algea down there. Then, I guess it can't get into the main if I just remove it for a few and put it right back.

Maybe the next PWC, I siphon into a bucket and put all the fuge rock and inverts there while I fish the two fish out.

Whatcha'll think? Am i being lazy?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think your being lazy, I can see your point on the work involved. I guess it's really a matter of what you really want to do though. How important is it to have these fish back in the main tank? lol I would probably make the effort but then, it's nice to see fish in the fuge as well. Tough call.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Thought about doing the PWC route and housing the fuge rock and algae for the half hour or so for the change. I could net the two fish. WHile I'm there, i thought about replacing 50% of the miracle mud as recommended. That, I may not do since I've heard folks say they've never replaced theirs. Guess my mud is about 3 yrs old now.

Also the mud had been through me almost boiling the fuge over a year ago when my main return pump went out. Didn't realize it and the heater down there and the sensor up top.... well, you can imagine what happened. Killed everything.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How are they getting down in the fuge Ray? Any way to prevent this from happening again?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The neon goby is small enuf to fit into the overflow box. Not sure about the blenny. Maybe he jumped into it. If I did mesh, a jumper would die laying on or bouncing off the mesh, right?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I placed a small plastic cup upside down into the outside box of the overflow box, overtop of the drain pipe. This has helped with noise as well as helped prevent anything thats not tiny to go down the pipe. I am going to super glue eggcrate overtop of the inside box of the overflow as well to prevent fish(or starfish mine died from this) from swimming in. While I was at it I am going to probably glue a eggcrate platform to the front of the overflow box to act as a frag shelf later on.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Take the time to put them back where they belong and you can see them. Then look for ways to keep them from getting back down there. Do you have eggcrate over the top?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Got them both. Got lucky with the blenny. He was in the return pump section of the fuge. Dunno how he did that since the level is usually not above that wall. Anyway, got to net him after some tries with the pump and prefilter taking up 75% of the space. The yellow neon goby was in the bottom of the bucket that the fuge rock was held in. Prolly jumped in a hole when I removed the rock. That too was good since the fuge bare bottomed was really ugly and it still would have been a chore to catch him. The blue was really happy to see his old buddy. it's been maybe 3 months.

Anyway here's some pix of everyone. My 3 tangs/stooges as a bonus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blenny 11-08.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	16238   Click image for larger version

Name:	blenny II.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	16239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gobies 11-08.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	16240   Click image for larger version

Name:	tangs 11-08.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	16241  

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Nice pics! "Reunited and it feels so good..." Is that how the song goes? LOL

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

You know, when I saw those 2 dancing/swimming around when they found each other, that exact song was playing in my head.

Exactly!

Kinda for me too, the reunited part. The yellow neon goby used to clean my hand when I reached in the tank. We'll see if he remembers me too.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com