Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
What I've always done with them, is to soak them in a 10:1 bleach solution for a day or two. Then spray them off inside and out with a hose on a shower setting. I then put them over my outside AC handler and dry them out really well. Although I try to rinse them off really well with water, I've been told that drying them completely, neutralizes any remaining bleach.
I've done it this way for years without any problems.
That's almost exactly what I do,...soak them a bleach solution for a day or so,....Spray them really good with the garden hose to rid the sock of all the dissolved gunk,..then I put them in a bucket of clean water for a day then air dry them for a day,..comes out very clean and no smell at all.....

Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

From everything that I have read is that bleach can be used to clean thigns like filter socks as long as afterwards they are air dried. This is said to be key to ensure all of the bleach is out of the socks. Thinking that this will be my practice upon putting socks back on my system, my sump is a mess, rather than soap as the air dry is also a safe guard to prevent any remaining bleach from entering the system.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use knee high pantyhose. I just double it up to make sure it catches the junk and not go through. Secure it with a rubber band. When it gets yucky I through it away and put a new one on. Doesn't cost much and saves a lot of frustration. I also use it to hold my charcoal.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tagging along here. Never would have thought about knee highs as filter soaks that is a very good idea. I will be setting up a sump/refug here soon and need as much ideas as I can get.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
From everything that I have read is that bleach can be used to clean thigns like filter socks as long as afterwards they are air dried. This is said to be key to ensure all of the bleach is out of the socks. Thinking that this will be my practice upon putting socks back on my system, my sump is a mess, rather than soap as the air dry is also a safe guard to prevent any remaining bleach from entering the system.
Just stay away from the gimmicky bleaches. I've heard of people using splashless by accident with disasterous results, as it contains lye and will produce suds. Looks just like the regular stuff, but the "splashless" part is printed real small. I stick with the basic generic brand stuff.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will have to watch for that I thought the splashless kind was the design of the bottle so it wouldn't splash. Did not realize it was in the bleach itself. Thank you for this info.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

We just got some bleach designed for He washers. It seems thicker, and I would probably avoid this type too. No telling what else might be in it. I just use regular generic bleach for my socks as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was just at Walmart besure to read the labels. I found even the Clorox "regular" had "HE" on them.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

When we were setting up our 180g, it came with 2 socks. I wanted to set them up and my fish guy said not to because they get all gunned up with crud. We have since cut a pc of egg crate to fit inside the sump and have a pc of white filter pad attached with rubber band that we change with every water change. It gets crazy gross so I can only imagine what all your socks look like after a few weeks.

Also, on a side note for the knee highs...Walmart sells them 3pairs for1.00. They are on an end cap type thing in a gum all plastic shell (think gumball machine). My company makes them for Walmart, so I know about them. And they sell a whole heap load of the too!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I ran the system for almost 20 years without any fine particulate filter of any kind. I thought it helped with coral growth, but now I am thinking It had a pretty small effect. Sump became a mess, so am now using the extra large sock on my secondary sump to grab this material. The sock plugs in about 3 days, but I have a very high bio load. I think I will build a easy to clean floss box instead. These socks are too high maintenance unless you have a pretty small load on the system.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com