Doing laundry...filter socks, there has to be something better.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flreefer said:
What I've always done with them, is to soak them in a 10:1 bleach solution for a day or two. Then spray them off inside and out with a hose on a shower setting. I then put them over my outside AC handler and dry them out really well. Although I try to rinse them off really well with water, I've been told that drying them completely, neutralizes any remaining bleach.
I've done it this way for years without any problems.

That's almost exactly what I do,...soak them a bleach solution for a day or so,....Spray them really good with the garden hose to rid the sock of all the dissolved gunk,..then I put them in a bucket of clean water for a day then air dry them for a day,..comes out very clean and no smell at all.....

From everything that I have read is that bleach can be used to clean thigns like filter socks as long as afterwards they are air dried. This is said to be key to ensure all of the bleach is out of the socks. Thinking that this will be my practice upon putting socks back on my system, my sump is a mess, rather than soap as the air dry is also a safe guard to prevent any remaining bleach from entering the system.

I use knee high pantyhose. I just double it up to make sure it catches the junk and not go through. Secure it with a rubber band. When it gets yucky I through it away and put a new one on. Doesn't cost much and saves a lot of frustration. I also use it to hold my charcoal.

Tagging along here. Never would have thought about knee highs as filter soaks that is a very good idea. I will be setting up a sump/refug here soon and need as much ideas as I can get.

Sniperhank said:
From everything that I have read is that bleach can be used to clean thigns like filter socks as long as afterwards they are air dried. This is said to be key to ensure all of the bleach is out of the socks. Thinking that this will be my practice upon putting socks back on my system, my sump is a mess, rather than soap as the air dry is also a safe guard to prevent any remaining bleach from entering the system.

Just stay away from the gimmicky bleaches. I've heard of people using splashless by accident with disasterous results, as it contains lye and will produce suds. Looks just like the regular stuff, but the "splashless" part is printed real small. I stick with the basic generic brand stuff.

I will have to watch for that I thought the splashless kind was the design of the bottle so it wouldn't splash. Did not realize it was in the bleach itself. Thank you for this info.

We just got some bleach designed for He washers. It seems thicker, and I would probably avoid this type too. No telling what else might be in it. I just use regular generic bleach for my socks as well.

I was just at Walmart besure to read the labels. I found even the Clorox "regular" had "HE" on them.

When we were setting up our 180g, it came with 2 socks. I wanted to set them up and my fish guy said not to because they get all gunned up with crud. We have since cut a pc of egg crate to fit inside the sump and have a pc of white filter pad attached with rubber band that we change with every water change. It gets crazy gross so I can only imagine what all your socks look like after a few weeks.

Also, on a side note for the knee highs...Walmart sells them 3pairs for1.00. They are on an end cap type thing in a gum all plastic shell (think gumball machine). My company makes them for Walmart, so I know about them. And they sell a whole heap load of the too!!!

I ran the system for almost 20 years without any fine particulate filter of any kind. I thought it helped with coral growth, but now I am thinking It had a pretty small effect. Sump became a mess, so am now using the extra large sock on my secondary sump to grab this material. The sock plugs in about 3 days, but I have a very high bio load. I think I will build a easy to clean floss box instead. These socks are too high maintenance unless you have a pretty small load on the system.

Gregcoyote said:
I ran the system for almost 20 years without any fine particulate filter of any kind. I thought it helped with coral growth, but now I am thinking It had a pretty small effect. Sump became a mess, so am now using the extra large sock on my secondary sump to grab this material. The sock plugs in about 3 days, but I have a very high bio load. I think I will build a easy to clean floss box instead. These socks are too high maintenance unless you have a pretty small load on the system.

Yeah agreed, I only have 4 fish on my 180, and the socks clog in about a week. I've only run a sock on my Berlin side of my sump, refugium side doesn't get one.
Been sock-less for about 2 months, only because they fell apart and haven't been able to replace them, but they do help to keep the sump clean, high maintenance as they are.

I just trow it in the washer when the wife is washing the whites works great and they smell great too hehe and no problem

Octavio said:
I just trow it in the washer when the wife is washing the whites works great and they smell great too hehe and no problem

You could be introducing unwanted chemicals into your tank from the laundry soap and/or fabric softener.

We run filter socks religiously at work and feel they filter particulates quite well, but we also tend to stock heavily. They need to be replaced weely (I use a single sock for each 550g) and can extend the life by a few days if using a hose to spray inside out until semi white. We normally soak the socks in 40g trash cans filled with freshwater and then bleach in washing machine (failure to rinse salt prior to washing machine will corrode the machine over time). We rinse about twice after to rid bleach, though you could use another trash can with dechlor to save on washer uses.

Be aware there are possible infectants that can survive hot water and bleach (you need an absorbant amount of bleach to kill certain bacteriums)...hint hint, clothing exposure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom