Don't buy this overflow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4321188881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Here's what the auction pic looks like and what was sent as well as the email I just sent off.

If this is anyone on this site, I'm sorry but that auction is blatant misrepresentation.

Bill,
I received the overflow this evening. To be honest with you I am very dissapointed with the item. I realize you posted some assembly would be required. As I have purchased other overflows in the past, I expected assembly to consist of installing the bulkheads, putting the two boxes together and adjusting U tube length. To say that I was shocked when I opened up the large box and found pieces of acrylic taped together would be an understatement. Also, the pictures posted on the auction show that the boxes are not glued together but are attached with nylon bolts. The overflow shipped has both boxes glued together making it impossible to adjust the depth of water in the sump once the boxes are assembled. As such it would be pure random chance that the water levels would be deep enough to run my equipment correctly and not run dry or flood. With the amount of money I have spent on my in-tank equipment and the 130 gallon possible flood I could be dealing with, this item is really not usable. I would like to return this to you for a refund.
Thank you for you consideration in this matter,
nd.

HOLY COW!!! That is horrible, and I thought that I was unhappy about my overflow box, now I realize that I was quite lucky. I almost ordered that box to be honest, so now I know better.

I ordered the Americle from thatpetplace.com. It was the only non ebay utube overflow I could find. Besides just being poorly disigned it works well. It's actually a injection molded plastic box inside and out. The bulkhead wasn't a bulkhead at all, mearly two cheap pvc parts with an O-ring. I have ordered a stock tank bottom bulkhead to replace it from Big R. The one I ordered will work mucho grande better. Also there is a whole in the outside overflow box that serves no purpose, they ship a push in red tab to plug it, bt I still thought it was sorta cheesy.

The utube itself has no actuall place, and runs into the box bolts, so it doesn't look very professional, but once again, it works. My biggest complaint with this box is the water level adjustment screws, there is just two slits in each box with a nylon bolt and wing nut to bolt them together. This doesn't work well at all, and one of the boxes should have a fitted whole to hold the nylon bolt in place, not a slit that it slides around in holding it nowhere.

My last complaint about this box is that there is no room in the outside box to install a durso, so it is very noisy, which is just anoyying. I am planning to build a new one some time when I have the time to fix all of these little problems, but in the meantime, for what it's worth, it works, haahahahahaha..

HTH, Joshua...

Also there is a whole in the outside overflow box that serves no purpose, they ship a push in red tab to plug it, bt I still thought it was sorta cheesy.

This is usually the result of the molding process.

My last complaint about this box is that there is no room in the outside box to install a durso, so it is very noisy, which is just anoyying.
Drill the hole for the durso on the side of the outside box instead of the back. The mod is available at www.dursostandpipes.com in the "Popular Modifications -->External" section.

Here's the reply I got.

"hi
we are very happy to refund your purchase price including all your shipping costs
please return the item to us via ups ground insured for $100
please include a short note with your full name, the amount we owe you, and your paypal account id.
as soon as we receive your return
we will paypal you your refund in full
thankyou sincerely, bill"

So it seems they are willing to take care of matters, so that's good. There is another guy that sells overflows on ebay. I have one of his on my 55 and it works well with no needed modifications. It also has a slit to adjust the box height which I prefer over predrilled holes as it allows fine adjustment of water level. I did the "stockman" I think mod to the downpipe and it runs silent even though it looks a little funky. On the other hand, it kept my neon goby from getting sucked in to the sump the 3 times I found him in my overflow box.

I "attempted" to buy that very overflow from Bill as well. First he sent me an e-mail stating that due to a delay in fabrication, there would be a short delay. When I asked him how long, he said no delay, it's on it's way. Then I asked him for a tracking number. He didn't sent it, but said UPS lost his shipment and he was going on vacation for two weeks, so he couldn't send me another until he got back. I asked for my money back. He wouldn't refund my paypal account or send me certified funds. Instead he sent me a personal check. And to boot, he gave me negative feedback because, as he put it, he suspected I gave him damaging feedback (which I didn't, just neutral). Just one more reason not to buy from the guy.

Shipping on the this one was real slow. According to his emails he schedules pickups through UPS. I'm sure it's convenient but took forever for it to get here. Funny thing is, the delivered box was huge, big enough to pack a microwave in. Then I open it and it's a bunch of parts the size of a toaster. 8O

This is the guy I bought one from for my 55 quite a while back. I just ordered a dual for my new tank.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4324891002&rd=1
I paypal'd friday or saturday and I've got an expected delivery date of the 24th. I'm pretty sure he does the work himself as they're not injection molded boxes, but the one I have works well.

Back
Top Bottom