Dosed For Calcium (got Q's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I used the Kent Tech CB part A and B. I dosed the tank yesterday, and here are todays results.

Calcium 440
The Salinity Is right where I want it to be also.

I am using the Nutrafin Calcium Test. I was wondering is there a better test, that is more accurate, and is there a test that you dont continually have to add one drop at a time?

Prob, dumb Q's, but I am new at the Calcium thing! :wink:

here is a link to the test I have:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG17850

I use seachem's reef success calcium test kit. Afaik all calcium test kits are a titration based test...so you will always have to 'count the drops' to determine Ca levels.

Afaik all calcium test kits are a titration based test...so you will always have to 'count the drops' to determine Ca levels.
I knew it was coming, but I prayed that it wouldnt!! :(

Thanks for the info! :wink:

My coral population is growing, and I was wondering about all that I should be testing for. Is this it?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Calcium
Alkalinity
Salinity
Water Hardness??

What else should I test for?

Also could you all, in your opinion, give a list of the best test for all these that can be purchased. I want to make sure I am using the best test. :wink:

TIA!! :D

malkore said:
I use seachem's reef success calcium test kit. Afaik all calcium test kits are a titration based test...so you will always have to 'count the drops' to determine Ca levels.
One of the reasons I prefer Salifert. It is still a titration method but is done so with a syringe marked off in ml.

Once the color change is achieved, the corresponding measure left in the syringe (liq ml) can be refrenced from the included sheet.

Quite easily actually.

Cheers
Steve

Rev,

You seem to be testing for the important ones although water hardness (GH?) is a wasted effort. It means nothing in SW chemistry. Magnesium would be a better test but typically is not needed very often.

Optional test kits would be PO4, iodine/date, Mg and possibley silicates. These though are not "regular use" but can often be valuable in determining problems. If you have a good LFS willing to do the occasional test I wouldn't bother buying them really. If not they might be considered. Of the 4, Mg would be the more important in terms of reef chem.

As far as what brands; with NH3, NO2 and NO3 you don't need to be that picky. It's only the sensitive chemistry ones that give actual numbered results that become important. The better brands in that regard are Salifert, Seachem and La Motte.

Cheers
Steve

Seachem does not require counting the drops. You wait until it turn to blue and the what ever is left in the syringe, you compare to the chart. You have to count the drop on the Alk test though.

Back
Top Bottom