Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dosing

For now I just have a fowlr but I will be getting lights for Christmas and plan to set out on my first reef journey. My question is just how important or necessary is dosing. I've read that with most corals you should be dosing with calcium and iodine and other trace elements but won't regular water changes take care of most of that. Also need advice on water changes. My method to date has been to mix my salt in buckets and just pour buckets into the tank but when I do this is does stir up the tank pretty good. I know most corals are pretty sensitive. Will this method be bad for corals or would I be ok still doing it this way. To start I just plan on going with lps and soft corals by the way.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, until you have a substantial amount of corals sucking up the elements, regular water changes are plenty.
As for your water changes, I would mix the salt and water overnight, to ensure that it's completely mixed. Otherwise, you can pour it right in if it's the same temp and salinity.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not that I have to say it, but MrX is right on the money. Until you have so many corals that they gobble up the elements before you can replenish them with water changes you dont need to dose. I literally had a full tank of corals that were colonies before I had to dose anything and then it was only for alkalinity mostly. All those bottles of stuff the lfs sells are for the most part not really needed. A great rule to live by is to never ever add anything you cannot test for.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you both for confirming my thoughts. Another question. Red Sea has those color enhancing products and amino acid products, are those snake oil or are they worth investing in. Based on the fact that you can't test for amino acids Carey's rule of thumb would say no but I have to ask. Sometimes I'm a sucker for good advertising.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snake oil.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks for saving me some money
Old 12-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Everything your corals need is already in your salt mix. Just pick a reef grade mix because they are generally higher in the key elements than FOWLR salt mixes, like Instant Ocean.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm currently using kent marine salt, will that work or should I plan on changing when I start adding corals
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've just switched from tropic-Marin pro reef to bright well aquatics precision reef blend and I'm having great results with a 10% pwc weekly ! I do dose iodine but just 1 drop every 3 days now ! my tank is full of soft coral ! But like mr x said any good reef blend should contain the higher elements etc required for a reef so I guess it's just down to personal preference !
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchard View Post
I guess it's just down to personal preference !
No. It's down to the levels of natural sea water.You don't want to put anything in the tank you aren't testing for. I guarantee you you aren't using 3 drops of iodine a day, if you don't need to add anything else. Alk would be the first thing to fall short IME.
I have never added iodine to any tank I've maintained and everything including inverts did just fine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com