Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

dosing excel in a reef tank?

I was thinking today about excel and its algaecidal effects. Has anyone ever thought of dosing excel in their tanks? What effect do you guys think it would have on macro algae?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I won't do this.

Best algae control is nutrients control. If you have a good skimmer, you can try vodka dosing, it will developp bacterias overtime that reproduce via nitrates/photphates, and they'll later be skimmed, so that's why I tell you vodka dosing.

If you have huge algae problems then peek at this website:
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

It is important that you follow daily dosage and never overdose.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm not a huge fan of carbon dosing because it zaps so much out of the water and there are other ways to solve algae issues. I'm kinda curious though if it would work similar to vodka or vinegar dosing as a carbon source for bacteria.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't have an algae issue personally but I am just curious about these things. From what little I've been able to read on the subject corals will even draw in carbon from the water. I would assume that macro algae would be able to use it in a similar fashion as plants in a fresh water aquarium.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I don't have an algae issue personally but I am just curious about these things. From what little I've been able to read on the subject corals will even draw in carbon from the water. I would assume that macro algae would be able to use it in a similar fashion as plants in a fresh water aquarium.
Probably in low quantities it will boost macro algae development. In higher doses it will probably kill it. I didn't do any search about this, but this is my opinion.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com