Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dosing Iodine

Just curious how necessary this is. I've read that some of the corals that i plan on keeping will benefit from an iodine supplement and i know my friend uses it in his reef, but is it a must. Also is it something that gets replenished with water changes or is supplementing the only way to get it in your tank.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

PWC's should be enought to replenish iodine by itself. However, if you suspect you might need to supplement, you'd better be sure to test for it first, during, and after because too much iodine can be lethal.

I guess the best thing to do is test if you're in doubt either way. I personally do not supplement and the last several times I have tested it has been sufficient, so I know that my PWC's are taking care of it for me.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, unless your coral "bioload" is using them up regular PWCs should take care of it.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't dose for something unless you are testing for it ...

I agree with the above. PWC's should be fine
Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree also. PWC`s will be suffient. Not just for corals but for your inverts (clean up crew). They need it for molting. But unless you have a hugh invert crowd you dont need to supplement.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good. I don't dose anything because i have never had any problems. Everything has always been ok with PWC, but i figured i would check just to make sure. Thanx
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good read about iodine- http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I guess I'll step in and be the 1 person here that does dose, But I Dose SeaChem's Iodide, which is "Safe", and from what I understand by reading the bottle, the Iodide, converts into Iodine, as the Iodine is used in the system.

The Expert at the LFS said you can't over dose it, because it doesn't convert into Iodine unless it's needed by the tank.

I have never had a problem with it, and My tank Parameters are perfect. My inverts are all happy and molt properly, My Xenias grow like weeds, So I must be doing something right.

I have never tested for Iodine, mainly because I refuse to pay almost $50 for the Salifert Test kit, and I have been unable to locate another brand test kit for Iodine.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also use RO/DI water, which Remove ALL elements, and IO salt, which is known to lack most elements needed to maintain a healthy system, So I dose Calcium, Magnesium, Iodide, and Trace Elements.

I dose 1/2 of what ever the directions say, except for Calcium and magnesium because I test for those.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad

I have never tested for Iodine
What do you do that makes you think that your iodine needs adding. If you never test then how do you know you need iodine supplementation. You might not even need it and you are adding. And I do disagree with the expert. You can overdose anything in your tank if you overdue it enough. Sorry I cant go with the expert this time.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad

I have never tested for Iodine
What do you do that makes you think that your iodine needs adding. If you never test then how do you know you need iodine supplementation. You might not even need it and you are adding. And I do disagree with the expert. You can overdose anything in your tank if you overdue it enough. Sorry I cant go with the expert this time.

I have 4 shrimp, and atleast a dozen crabs that all use Iodine.

I have never had a problem with any of my shrimp molting. I've read alot of posts on here about people's shrimp dieing after said time, which could be many things, one of which is not having enough iodine to molt properly.

I do agree with you in that you can overdose anything. Too much of anyone can be bad. That is why I only dose about 1/2 of what the directions say.

I don't know for 100% that I need it, But Since Iodide isn't Iodine, and Iodide is Non-toxic, only converting to Iodine when the iodine level's get used up, I don't see a problem with it.

I've been using for over 6 months now. I'm not telling anyone else to do as I have, but I am just sharing what I do, and that I have not had any negative effects of doing it.

Between RO/DI water (Removes All Elements), IO Salt (Lack Of Elements), 24/7 heavy Skimming (Removing Elements), and Constant PWC (Removal/Replacement of Elements), I By adding things, I am just keeping a balance. I test for everything I add, except for Iodide (Which may not even show up on a test kit, because as mentioned, Iodide is not Iodine, But converts to Iodine as needed)

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com