Dosing Iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious how necessary this is. I've read that some of the corals that i plan on keeping will benefit from an iodine supplement and i know my friend uses it in his reef, but is it a must. Also is it something that gets replenished with water changes or is supplementing the only way to get it in your tank.

PWC's should be enought to replenish iodine by itself. However, if you suspect you might need to supplement, you'd better be sure to test for it first, during, and after because too much iodine can be lethal.

I guess the best thing to do is test if you're in doubt either way. I personally do not supplement and the last several times I have tested it has been sufficient, so I know that my PWC's are taking care of it for me.

I agree, unless your coral "bioload" is using them up regular PWCs should take care of it.

Don't dose for something unless you are testing for it ...

I agree with the above. PWC's should be fine :)

I agree also. PWC`s will be suffient. Not just for corals but for your inverts (clean up crew). They need it for molting. But unless you have a hugh invert crowd you dont need to supplement.

Sounds good. I don't dose anything because i have never had any problems. Everything has always been ok with PWC, but i figured i would check just to make sure. Thanx

I guess I'll step in and be the 1 person here that does dose, But I Dose SeaChem's Iodide, which is "Safe", and from what I understand by reading the bottle, the Iodide, converts into Iodine, as the Iodine is used in the system.

The Expert at the LFS said you can't over dose it, because it doesn't convert into Iodine unless it's needed by the tank.

I have never had a problem with it, and My tank Parameters are perfect. My inverts are all happy and molt properly, My Xenias grow like weeds, So I must be doing something right.

I have never tested for Iodine, mainly because I refuse to pay almost $50 for the Salifert Test kit, and I have been unable to locate another brand test kit for Iodine.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also use RO/DI water, which Remove ALL elements, and IO salt, which is known to lack most elements needed to maintain a healthy system, So I dose Calcium, Magnesium, Iodide, and Trace Elements.

I dose 1/2 of what ever the directions say, except for Calcium and magnesium because I test for those.

-TheChad

TheChad said:
I have never tested for Iodine

What do you do that makes you think that your iodine needs adding. If you never test then how do you know you need iodine supplementation. You might not even need it and you are adding. And I do disagree with the expert. You can overdose anything in your tank if you overdue it enough. Sorry I cant go with the expert this time.

melosu58 said:
TheChad said:
I have never tested for Iodine

What do you do that makes you think that your iodine needs adding. If you never test then how do you know you need iodine supplementation. You might not even need it and you are adding. And I do disagree with the expert. You can overdose anything in your tank if you overdue it enough. Sorry I cant go with the expert this time.

I have 4 shrimp, and atleast a dozen crabs that all use Iodine.

I have never had a problem with any of my shrimp molting. I've read alot of posts on here about people's shrimp dieing after said time, which could be many things, one of which is not having enough iodine to molt properly.

I do agree with you in that you can overdose anything. Too much of anyone can be bad. That is why I only dose about 1/2 of what the directions say.

I don't know for 100% that I need it, But Since Iodide isn't Iodine, and Iodide is Non-toxic, only converting to Iodine when the iodine level's get used up, I don't see a problem with it.

I've been using for over 6 months now. I'm not telling anyone else to do as I have, but I am just sharing what I do, and that I have not had any negative effects of doing it.

Between RO/DI water (Removes All Elements), IO Salt (Lack Of Elements), 24/7 heavy Skimming (Removing Elements), and Constant PWC (Removal/Replacement of Elements), I By adding things, I am just keeping a balance. I test for everything I add, except for Iodide (Which may not even show up on a test kit, because as mentioned, Iodide is not Iodine, But converts to Iodine as needed)

-TheChad

hmmmm....I guess until I see a need to add things to my tank I'm going to keep up with my 2 PWCs a month (more if needed) and let that replenish my trace elements. Things work for some and not others I have learned!

Ziggy953 said:
hmmmm....I guess until I see a need to add things to my tank I'm going to keep up with my 2 PWCs a month (more if needed) and let that replenish my trace elements. Things work for some and not others I have learned!

Where are your trace elements coming from?

This is my point.... If you use RO/DI water, You have No Trace Elements to start with (Atleast this is my understanding). So the only way you are getting Trace elements is by your salt mix, or by dosing them.. Which play a big factor. I use IO right now, Which is extremely low on trace elements.

Soon I will be changing salts to either Reef Crystals, Tropic Marin, or hW Marinemix Plus BioElements. I have not yet decided which I will go with.

Once I change salts, I will revamp what I am dosing to my tank, Mainly Calcium, and magnesium as the salts I am changing to should contain most of the elements I need. At some point I am going to have to blow the money and just get an Iodine test kit.

-TheChad

I agree Ziggy. I`m going to do the same thing. And I hear you chad. I dont agree with adding anything unless I know I need it but to each his own. I wish you the best Chad.

I could be wrong, But how often do you hear of something having problems, or livestock dieing due to an overdose of one of the elements?

I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that there are 10x more problems with lack of elements then too much of one.

The system has natural ways of removing/reducing/balancing too much of a specific element, but the system itself can't do much to generate an element that is lacking...

Just my thoughts....

*Goes back to His corner now*

-TheChad

You hit the nail on the head.....salt mix is where they come from. Test a fresh batch of water and see what readings you get. I have amazing coral growth SPS coral growth as in I can actually see the change from day to day and I don't add anything to my water. I'm not negating the need to dose, I'm just saying that I'm not going to put additional elements into my system until my system calls for them. With PWCs every other week my Calcium stays around 400-420 I don't test for iodine and other trace elements because I don't need to. I have 6 shrimp and 3 crabs in my tank all of the shrimp have molted and continue to. My CBS and Skunk did it last night the second time in the last 4 weeks for the cleaner. As Melosu said, to each his/her own and if it is working for you keep going with it. For those of us that want to keep things as simple as possible I will stick with the water changes and allow that to keep things stable. I use IO adn Reef crystals. I think they are pretty balanced.

Cheers mate! All is good in the reef world!

TheChad said:
Soon I will be changing salts to either Reef Crystals, Tropic Marin, or hW Marinemix Plus BioElements. I have not yet decided which I will go with.

Dont forget Oceanic. You will not need to dose calcium with that brand. I keep my calcium at 420-450 just by doing PWC`s. No supplementation. Here is some good articles on salt mixes.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i3/Salt_Impressions/Salt_Impressions.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php

TheChad said:
Where are your trace elements coming from?
Salt mix, that's one major reason why regular PWC's are recommended, and fish/coral food.
am willing to bet a fair amount of money that there are 10x more problems with lack of elements then too much of one.
Not true. Most trace elements are lethal in amounts greater than found in NSW. One form of iodine is commonly used as an antibacterial disinfectant.! I suggest you read the link I provided above. :wink:

I use Oceanic salt mix and do not dose anything. Xenia (which apparently uses a lot of iodine) grows like crazy in my tank and the crab molts.

nicksgirl said:
I use Oceanic salt mix and do not dose anything. Xenia (which apparently uses a lot of iodine) grows like crazy in my tank and the crab molts.

(y) (y)

That's the bandwagon I'll jump on.
In 13 yrs now, with 10 systems on the go, I've never dosed trace elements or iodine in any form.
I raise xenia for resale through LFS, and, I have lots of shrimp that have no molting problems.
I do test for and add calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium as required.
I saw a question on where do your trace elements come from and I want to say that my tank gets them from the salt mix, and, from the food that I feed the tank. All foods add trace elements to the tank, and many add iodine forms as well.
I do water changes, not to replenish trace elements, but to reduce the buildup of trace elements that comes from feeding the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom